My new blackcap basslet

monalisa

I've been looking around for a thread that I posted on regarding a shipment that my daughter and I received from SWF.com on Tuesday, and I can't find it anywhere. The jist of it was that that the shipment...with 3 fish included...arrived with the water very cold (this is Wisconsin in February).
Anyway, my daughter called me and stated that "all the fish are dead, water's cold, and all the fish are dead". She also thought the 2 orange linckia stars were gone.
We started temperature acclimation and I noticed that 2 of the fish, a blenny of some kind (that is my daughter's fish) and the blackcap basslet were showing improvement, very little improvement, but improvement nonetheless. We decided to go ahead and acclimate as usual which is drip acclimation 3 1/2 - 4 hours keeping an eye on the temperature in particular. By the end of the acclimation process, I noticed that my blackcap's breathing was normal.
When I released my new blackcap, he took off like a bullet. My daughter said that her blenny has been fine, and is eating pellets, but no sign of her R gramma, which also took off like a bullet on release and was breathing fine at the end of acclimation. My blackcap has been out and eating just fine, especially today. Both starfish are doing great too.
Now we're just waiting for the R gramma to make an appearance.
I came this close to giving up in my blackcap, he looked so much like he wasn't going to make it...I'm SO glad I didn't give up on him.
More to come...happy, I hope.
Lisa

renogaw

they hide, but i'm glad to hear everything went ok :)
issue with your circumstance though is if it does die, without it being in a QT you may never know, or have the corpse to send back for credit, until it's too late :(

monalisa

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2945440
they hide, but i'm glad to hear everything went ok :)
issue with your circumstance though is if it does die, without it being in a QT you may never know, or have the corpse to send back for credit, until it's too late :(
Yeah, I know that's an issue. I really believe that her R gramma is hiding in the rocks of her 55gal tank (lots of it), and that he's probably getting food as she feeds. I just got lucky in finding my blackcap because he chose a hiding spot that I can observe relatively easily. My bet is that her gramma will be out and about by next week (fingers crossed). Hope so.
Lisa

dreamweaver

With my first Royal Gramma - placed him in the tank and he promptly disappeared! Being a "real newbie" to saltwater at the time, I thought he'd died.... but lo and behold, after SEVERAL days we caught a glimpse of him!!! Frankly, I lost this gramma along with most of my fish one of the times my tank crashed --- but before its' death, this particular gramma NEVER developed into a reasonably seen resident... instead, just about the only time we saw him was supper time!!! HOWEVER, my most recent gramma is seen frequently, but does spend a little time in the live rock.... Must be a difference in personalities! (Love the colors of the Royal Gramma!)