My new blue hippo story

briterco

Hi all,
I don't post here a whole lot, but I do lurk frequently, and have learned an incredible amount from doing so. Thought I'd share my happy new blue hippo story...
Stats: 125g with 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, 1 spotted hawk, 1 maroon clown, and 6 b/g chromis.
This board has taught me to never impulsively buy, so I took the advise and researched, asked questions about what should be my final fish addition, and a blue hippo was recommended (even with a bit of hesitation because of the YT).
Upon taking that advise, I quickly learned (thanks to Nemo) how rare a hippo is to find these days, unless one is willing to pay a fortune in shipping costs (I'm not).
Well, low and behold, about a month ago I was in LFS - the same that had told me that they hardly ever get one in - and suddlenly I notice a little one swimming about. "I'll take it!" I have to believe fate was even playing a bit of a role here. This was on a Friday. They get their livestock shipments on Tuesdays. They told me that someone had been checking everyday so see if they'd gotten any hippos in. They had the fish on hold for this guy since Tue, but he never showed, so they sold him to me.
I took him home and immediately began acclimation to the QT (lesson from here!) Of source the little guy was stressed. By the time I released him into the QT, he'd worn himself out and just layed on his side. I knew though, that this wasn't terribly unusual for a hippo.
Well my son insisted we name him (er, now her) Dori (I know...yawn). I started reducing salinity the next day. Over the next three weeks of hyposalinity treatment (again, learned this here) Dori began looking much healthier, always had a good appetite, but stayed pretty shy, hiding in her piece of PVC, or at least staying near to it.
All signs were go to move to the big tank. I started the salinity increase last Fri, and by Wed we were ready to go. I decided to do the move net-free - heard that nets damage their slime coats, and I've had a couple of other times when fins have gotten stuck in nets. So, while Dori was hiding in the PVC, I took a spare overflow box and scooped her and the PVC up, and then floated the box in the dispay.
Took the next hour to do the final water change/acclimation. Dori staying well inside the PVC the whole time. Then when ready, I pushed the box to the bottom of the tank and let the PVC slide out - still with Dori. I could see her inside, looking rather petrified - almost clinging to the inside wall of the tube. Then after about 15 minutes though, she came venturing out, and you could just tell she was thinking "wow, this is cool!" Started exploring right away - no rock hiding, laying on the side or anything. My only worry at this point was the yellow tang, who chased the flame angel (the last new addition) for about a day before getting over it. YT barely noticed; spotted hawk showed only a little curiosity.
I shut the lights off so everyone would go to bed. Next morning (yesterday), I left for work while the display lights were still off, but saw no casualties or signs of violence. Came home, expecting to see at least a little chasing around. Nothing...perfectly normal...like Dori had been there all along. Fed them and other than not quite understanding the proper procedures for feedin' time, she ate just fine.
Last night, was swimming all over the place, but seemed especially fond of swimming into the current of one of the powerheads. Also, I had introduced her in the right side of the tank, which she seemed to still favor. I hope that continues as the others are fond of the left.
Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I'm really happy with how well this all went, and wanted to share my good news story. Thanks also to all of the contributors to this board...your advice really does help!
Terry

mr. tuna

Nice story!
Glad everything came together ok! :D
Fishtanker:
is that a pacific blue hippo tang that you have?
or an indian ocean blue hippo? ...is there any difference? :D :confused:

fishtanker

I couldn't tell you Tuna...i think its an indian ocean variety. i'm not aware of the differences between them but i have heard of a type of hippo that is yellow on its lower half but not sure of the region its from :notsure: