My new cocoa worm....

chipmaker

The wife is into feather dusters as well as cocoa worms. She has a few hard tube worms that have nice full crowns of white and red. She is a die hard Alabama fan, whose coklors happen to be red and white........well today I seen a worm that I just had to have. Its crown is blue and orange which just happens to be the colors of my team, Auburn University home of Auburn Tigers. It was embedded somewhat in a nice piece of live rock, which could probbaly be removed, but I am not about to chance breaking the tube on the worm. The rock itslef also had a few small red shrooms on the base of it, with the worms crown coming up and out at the top. I tell the wife the little red shrooms are defeated players paying homage to Auburn ;-)
I also lucked out with a heap of bright red shrooms. Under the shops lights they were a dingy brown, and were sold at a buck each. They range insize from 1" to 2 inches and what a surprise once I got them in my tanks and ofund out they are red not browns......guess that shows the lfs needs to use decent lights on tanks so they can see a corals ture colors.

anonome

POST A PICTURE!!! I also bought a coral from a lfs that said it was a "brown pagoda cup" looked brown at the store. I didn't know that they even came in brown. LOL. But, anything is possible in the wide open sea. Brought it home it is definately a green pagoda cup, full of color. Their lose your gain!!

anonome

But, back onto the cocoa worm, I am interested in getting one. They say that they are just like the feather dusters you get normally. Filter feeders, agree?

mrdc

I have one but from what I understand they aren't as hardy as feather dusters. I think with coco worms you have to feed them (filter feeding food) and your ca, alk, and so on should be treated the same as a reef tank due to the hard shell the coco lives in.

chipmaker

Its not been a problem ands I actually have more sucess with cocoa worms than the typical feather dusters. YOU can easily tell if yur calcium and alk is right as anytime the worm withdraws you can see new addition to the tube, and its amazing how quick they can actually repair a broken or damaged tube end. I make no special arrangements for any filter feeder, such as dusters, christmas trees and cocoa worms etc. I feed frozen home brew food, and the fine particulate matter from it seems to do just fine to provide them with nutrition, as I am always seeing them put out waste, they grow so they must be getting sufficient nutrition. I feed my frozen food by taking the frozen food itself and swirling it around in the tank and allow it to dissolve as its getting swirled. The fish and shrimp etc eat the larger peices the corals and other filter feeders eat the finer stuff, so every one gets something to eat. I certainly do not find cocoa worms any harder to keep than anything else like tube worms etc.