my new guys (GBTA / GSM's) Pics/vid

krautburner

last week, I picked up a green bubble tip
and yesterday, my girlfriend got me the pair of gsm clowns at the lfs
I put the clowns in and within an hour, the larger one was hosting the anemone
the smaller one was getting in there some
now the larger clown is staying in the anemone and every once and a while will go over to the small one, it looks like they may be cleaning each other.
is this "Agression" or is this "normal" and good behavior ?
also,
the anemone looks to be sprouting a new head,
is this the begining of a split?

perfectdark

Hmmmm well I cant see I have seen every thing when it comes to anemone splitting but I have never seen anything like yours. It almost looks like a birth defect... When they split typically their mouth splits in 2 and the anemone is divided in half. This guy appears to have an appendage on its foot, and it looks like an anemone... very odd IMO. But this maybe more common than I am aware of.
FYI, just an observation, be very cautious of your new relationship, BTA and Maroon clown. From your pics your fish seems to be almost longer than the anemone is. Maroons are noted to be one of the most aggressive hosts, and quite frequently host so aggressivly that they often kill their anemones. Its recomended that if your intention is to get an anemone for a maroon to make sure it is many many times larger than the fish. If this is a splitting anemone, and it has only been in your tank a day... something IMO is wrong.

krautburner

the anemone has been in about a week,
the gsm's have only been in since yesterday.
this is my first anemone, so I don't know what "splitting" looks like.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
http:///forum/post/2589092
the anemone has been in about a week,
the gsm's have only been in since yesterday.
this is my first anemone, so I don't know what "splitting" looks like.
Ok keep an eye on them, IMO it looks healthy for now.
As far as splitting, typically it starts at the mouth and the anem divides. That is the a.s.e.x.ual way it is done. They can also reproduce s.e.x.u.a.lly and this might be what has happened and your seeing the trailing end of it all. However I am only guessing, I have never seen an anmone reproduce the 2nd way only the first.

lmecher

I agree you anemone looks oddly shaped, could be fooling us by being strangly inflated. Anyway my real reason for posting is to give you this link, great for anemone newbies, check it out.
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/
Oh and one more thing, you'll know when it's agression when one of the clowns are missing peices, flesh and fins. Watch them and seperate them if the smaller one is getting beat up. Maroon clowns can be extremely agressive especially when hosting and anemone. My large gold stripe maroon killed it's intended mate, hope your lucky and they bond. Good luck, got my fingers crossed. : )

lmecher

I went back and looked at your photos again. Looks like it's budding a baby anemone. I was not sure if bta's do this. This is unusual, never seen it in a bta before, that is of corse if that is what it is doing. Please post updates, this is fascinating. : )
I googled it and found this.
The sexes in sea anemones are separate for some species while some are hermaphroditic. Both sexual and asexual reproduction may occur. In sexual reproduction males release sperm which stimulates females to release eggs, and fertilization occurs. The eggs or sperm are ejected through the mouth. The fertilized egg develops into a planula, which finally settles down and grows into a single anus. They can also reproduce asexually by budding, binary fission, which involves pulling apart into two halves, and pedal laceration, in which small pieces of the pedal disc break off and regenerate into small anemones.

krautburner

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/2589947
Looks like it's budding a baby anemone.

that's what I was thinking ????
I talked to my LFS today,
he said it could be a way of it "splitting" or a "Birth defect"
I don't think it's agression
they seem to be cleaining each other, or rubbng on each other.
I took a vid,

I thought I posted the link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ujw8tHXl_oM
they have been together for at least 3 weeks at the LFS, and came in together, and have been social together before they went to my tank.

zoogrl03

My two (mated pair) of clarkii clowns do the same thing. My bigger clown hosts the anemone while the other one doesn't go to it so much, but it seems the two clowns rub against eachother or something along those lines a lot!!

krautburner

Originally Posted by zoogrl03
http:///forum/post/2589996
My two (mated pair) of clarkii clowns do the same thing. My bigger clown hosts the anemone while the other one doesn't go to it so much, but it seems the two clowns rub against eachother or something along those lines a lot!!
the same as in the vid?
they don't look like they are being too rough,
and I've read that clowns dont exactly act like "normal" fish, and that's why we love them

nietzsche

looks like shes just trying to make sure he understads who the female/boss is and male seems to be nipping back and giving attitude. my tomato clownfish do this as well, so theyve got some white spots on the body where they bite on each other, but its nothing serious. as previous posters said, just look out for ripped up and serious wounds

perfectdark

Looking at the video...
Thats just some good ol fashioned lovin right there. She is throwing her weight around, and he is telling her, "Hey Im a lover not a fighter". The submission phase appears to be over and now its just her reminding him whos boss, who owns the anemone, and dont step outta line. He is just saying Im cool with all that. In time she will let him into the anemone with her.. but apparently not yet.

perfectdark

Did some research....
Congrats,
there are a few ways that schision occurs... some from a bit of pedal laceration (a part of the foot torn away)... or, in your case. So, you have a clone forming.

krautburner

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2590313
Did some research....
Congrats,
there are a few ways that schision occurs... some from a bit of pedal laceration (a part of the foot torn away)... or, in your case. So, you have a clone forming.
cool, thanks.
I guess it could be from the stress of being pulled from the rock in the old owners tank and the move??
seems to be doing fairly well.
still moving around a bit.
the female gsm has been feeding it.

krautburner

kinda wierd thing I noticed yesterday/today
looks like the male may be hosting my leather toadstool (and i don't think the toadstool likes it)
it's not been fuzzy looking since tuesday evening

lmecher

KrautBurner;2589068 said:
last week, I picked up a green bubble tip
and yesterday, my girlfriend got me the pair of gsm clowns at the lfs
I put the clowns in and within an hour, the larger one was hosting the anemone
the smaller one was getting in there some
now the larger clown is staying in the anemone and every once and a while will go over to the small one, it looks like they may be cleaning each other.
is this "Agression" or is this "normal" and good behavior ?
also,
the anemone looks to be sprouting a new head,
is this the begining of a split?

QUOTE]
Hey check this out, look familiar? Pretty cool, I thought I saw this somewhere, had to search but here it is-
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/em...inganemone.htm

krautburner

cool, thanks.
I took the pics to my LFS,
and the guy there said it's not really common, but he had heard that is a way it could "split"
it will be awesome if it turns into two,
one for each Clown ;)
I should get a turkey baster (or something like that) to dirrect feed with mysis shrimp