My new lipstick, his names KING!!!

-tara33-

lol hes been in qt for 4 weeks at work and im bringing him home in 30 mins im excited, hes 13 inches with an extra 3 inch trailers.

nwdyr

Hey , is this the 250???? are you going to start a thread for it? sorry I am like a little kid
that is one beautiful fish

-tara33-

no this is him in the QT at work, i did put him in my tank 3 hours ago but the light is off now, but he is very tame already just from being in QT, he loves to nibble on your finger. ill take a pic of him tomorrow so hes a bit settled in, he stuck by my yellow tangs side straight away, lol its like a chihuhau against a dane.

-tara33-

i found this pic of the 250-260g this was taken about 2 months ago its 5foot by 2.5foot by 2.5foot and a 100litre sump.

stdreb27

I read 30 minutes and thought 30 gallons then read 13 inches. Then decided to read the whole thread. I'm glad I did. THAT FISH IS AWESOME.

A

alexmir

that is an awesome fish!! Im looking forward to a full tank shot, a 16" fish is pretty large, i bet hes beautiful swimming around

rotarymagic

a 60x30x30inch tank is 234gallons...and a 100liter sump is only 26 USD gallons (general rule was sump must be at least 1/3 volume of display tank)... Not trying to bust your chops, but when even I thought about throwing a naso tang in a 5foot tank, I got yelled at really bad. Surprised the tang police hasn't showed up. It's not like your tank doesn't have volume... its the swimming area from what I understand. Most people will tell you they need an 8foot long tank (around 244cm long.) Good luck.

aquaknight

Wow, that's a big boy, with some of the longest streamers I've seen.
Do I see the tail half of a lunare wrasse in QT as well?

-tara33-

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2814321
a 60x30x30inch tank is 234gallons...and a 100liter sump is only 26 USD gallons (general rule was sump must be at least 1/3 volume of display tank)... Not trying to bust your chops, but when even I thought about throwing a naso tang in a 5foot tank, I got yelled at really bad. Surprised the tang police hasn't showed up. It's not like your tank doesn't have volume... its the swimming area from what I understand. Most people will tell you they need an 8foot long tank (around 244cm long.) Good luck.
i took a wild guess at the sump couldnt be #*&%@# messuring it last night but it is a 3 foot by 18 inch by well the water is 3/4 full but i dont hav a messuring tape to figure it out, and my fish load is only 4 major fish and a few chromis, and he is very gracefull and very comfortabul in the tank this morning he is not swimming around frantically and i hav kept a few naso tangs in the past so please dont tell me about what volume is whateva thehell it is of whateva your opinion dosnt matter to me you hav nothing but negative posts on this forum!

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2814795
i took a wild guess at the sump couldnt be #*&%@# messuring it last night but it is a 3 foot by 18 inch by well the water is 3/4 full but i dont hav a messuring tape to figure it out, and my fish load is only 4 major fish and a few chromis, and he is very gracefull and very comfortabul in the tank this morning he is not swimming around frantically and i hav kept a few naso tangs in the past so please dont tell me about what volume is whateva thehell it is of whateva your opinion dosnt matter to me you hav nothing but negative posts on this forum!
I have negative posts for negative people.. I'll leave it at that. Yeah just keep throwing that slang and ebonics at me..

spanko

Rotary you are indeed an angry poster. I am not sure you mean to be but you do come off that way.
Some info from another site that got sick of people making generalizations about tangs and the tank size they should be in. Quote:
1. Tangs are not good choices for newly set up aquaria. To thrive they need a stable environment with pristine water conditions. Anyone thinking their newly set up aquarium is stable is invited to read through the following thread:
Maturity Issues
2. Tangs are medium to large, active fish that need plenty of space. On the question of tank sizes, we defer to Scott W. Michael, who recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:
1. Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
2. Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
3. Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
4. Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
5. Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
6. Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
7. Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
8. Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
9. Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
10. Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
11. Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
12. Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l).
13. Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
14. Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l).
15. Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
16. Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
17. Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
18. Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
19. Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
20. Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
21. Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
22. Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).
You will note that none of these minimum sizes are less than 75 gallons. If you have a tang in a smaller tank, you should expect that some people will give you a hard time about it. Expressing outrage about that could result in suspension of your posting privileges. We are not, BTW, giving a free pass to the self-styled "Tang Police" to be abusive.
3. The above sizes assume a standard rectangular shape with plenty of open swimming space. If your tank is full to the brim with coral, your tang won't be happy. Tanks 125G or larger are assumed to be at least six feet long (approx. two meters). Where possible, choose longer rather than deeper shapes. While smaller species may be OK in a four foot tank, they will probably do better in a five foot or longer tank.
4. We do not condone the practice of keeping more than one specimen of the same or very similar species together in the same aquarium, except possibly for Zebrasoma species in a very large tank.
5. If you wish to keep multiple dissimilar tangs in the same aquarium, we recommend you have an aquarium significantly larger than the sizes listed above.
Looks to me like Tara has plenty of tank and I am confident that she is a concerned aquarist and probably keeps up with her husbandry.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2814984
Rotary you are indeed an angry poster. I am not sure you mean to be but you do come off that way.
Some info from another site that got sick of people making generalizations about tangs and the tank size they should be in. Quote:
1. Tangs are not good choices for newly set up aquaria. To thrive they need a stable environment with pristine water conditions. Anyone thinking their newly set up aquarium is stable is invited to read through the following thread:
Maturity Issues
2. Tangs are medium to large, active fish that need plenty of space. On the question of tank sizes, we defer to Scott W. Michael, who recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:
1. Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
2. Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
3. Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
4. Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
5. Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
6. Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
7. Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
8. Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
9. Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
10. Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
11. Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
12. Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l).
13. Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
14. Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l).
15. Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
16. Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
17. Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
18. Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
19. Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
20. Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
21. Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
22. Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).
You will note that none of these minimum sizes are less than 75 gallons. If you have a tang in a smaller tank, you should expect that some people will give you a hard time about it. Expressing outrage about that could result in suspension of your posting privileges. We are not, BTW, giving a free pass to the self-styled "Tang Police" to be abusive.
3. The above sizes assume a standard rectangular shape with plenty of open swimming space. If your tank is full to the brim with coral, your tang won't be happy. Tanks 125G or larger are assumed to be at least six feet long (approx. two meters). Where possible, choose longer rather than deeper shapes. While smaller species may be OK in a four foot tank, they will probably do better in a five foot or longer tank.
4. We do not condone the practice of keeping more than one specimen of the same or very similar species together in the same aquarium, except possibly for Zebrasoma species in a very large tank.
5. If you wish to keep multiple dissimilar tangs in the same aquarium, we recommend you have an aquarium significantly larger than the sizes listed above.
Looks to me like Tara has plenty of tank and I am confident that she is a concerned aquarist and probably keeps up with her husbandry.

Realize that we are talking about a 13 inch fish in 60inch long tank!!! lateral swimming space is less than 5 times its length and it will only get worse over time. I will however say the problem isn't quite as bad as say keeping the animal in a 5x18x18 tank because of the 30inch depth and height of her tank. This is quickly turning into a pick and choose battles situation on this forum, you guys are just cutting her slack because she's a girl i.e. doesn't know any better. If it would have been a guy, he would have already gone to the gallows for this! I really don't want to fight about this and yeah its not as bad as an asian style tank, but the point is its still not an 8foot long tank (generally accepted standard for this fish)... Remember we are not discussing the fish from a bioload standpoint, only a swimming space standpoint.
Positive notes: yes you got an awesome fish and no what you are doing is not nearly as bad as hatching a shark in a 10gallon, asian style tank, or an octopus and seahorse in an eclipse 12.
Remember... I can always get a book published that says keep clown fish in a bowl with an airpump and yellow tangs in a 29gallon biocube... it just takes money.
P.S. I'm not an angry person, I'm just on a short fuse. While you said I only contribute negative stuff on this forum, please check out my positive contributions in the nano section.

spanko

You have me confused with someone else Rotary, only said you seem angry never said you only post negative comments.