My new pet peeve!

zippy

Why do people ask for advice if there is no way they will accept it or follow it? I just read another post from someone wanting to keep a fish/clam/coral in an improper tank/improper lighting/overcrowding issue. Advice was given then exceptions were sited and excuses given. ENOUGH! IF YOU DON"T WANT YOUR OPINION COUNTERED DON"T ASK IN THE FIRST PLACE!
Keep your tang in a 45 gallon tank! Keep your coral or clam that needs strong light under NO flourescents! Put 25 fish in a 10 gallon nano! But WHEN they die don't complain!
I have steered away from many, many corals, fish, and clams from the recommendations on this board. I listen to those who have more experience, good and bad, than I do. That is the magic of this messageboard. Sammy, Broomer, Bang, Beth, etc., etc. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE. In three and a half years I have made many mistakes, but I have also made a LOT fewer than I would have on my own.
Sorry, but it's built up lately. I just wanted to express my heartfelt thanks to all of you who helped, knowingly or not. I thought the point of this hobby was to protect life, not destroy it.
Mike:mad:

elvis a.

I know how you feel Zippy.. I was that way when I started out in the hobby.. Most of the time, my mistakes turned out on the good side, but most of the time they were pretty bad....
Some people just are selfish and want everything their way.. They don't want to accept something the way it is... but remember.. It's their money, their tank, their choice.. Not ours... I feel sorry for the inhabitants that must suffer...But who suffers more from that?? The tank or the person?;)
We can give them the facts and experience.. But what they choose to do is their own fault....

marvida

Keep in mind that the opinions expressed here are simply that....someone's opinion. There is a lot of good advice given, but it all needs to be taken for what it's worth. There are very few absolutes in this hobby and an open forum for discussion is very valuable. It's kind of like raising kids, you would like them to not make the same mistakes you did but they usualy do. The best thing to do is not take it personally when someone doesn't follow your advice. Keep in mind that if no one ever tried anything new or different there would be no changes in a hobby like this.
Happy Turkey Day!!!!
Ken

zippy

I guess it just hit mme wrong. But when someone says I know I shouldn't, but... I just get peeved. If you know you shouldn't...don't. Thanks for making me feel a little better, though.