MY NEW PUFFER :)

meowzer

I could not resist....it was like seeing a puppy in the store window......LOL...(I think it is a GOOD thing I have no stores by me)
It eats from your hand too

dethsight

classic puffer look. gets me every time. which makes wanting to give mine to the LFS since i want to do some corals a very very very very tough choice. haven't decided yet.
it looks like a few of his spikes are up on the bottom...was he recently puffed up? or is it just something with the picture?

dethsight

well, when my puffer puffs up, he has a few spikes that dont go down for a few minutes. dont know if its a bad thing or if they just didn't go down due to some random thing, it looks funny. lol. my puffer gets a "bad hair day" going when his spikes right above his head stick up. happens if he has his back to the strong current. i just look at him/her and laugh.
pretty much anywhere i look, puffers "may" eat corals. so, i dont really want to spend X.XX dollars on corals just for them to be lunch. :p

meowzer

OK...I was worried for a minute.....LOL....he needs to get adjusted so hopefully tomorrow he will be better

meowzer

Hey DETH.....the guy who had this puffer has another one...3x the size (in a 54G with lots of corals)...he says as long as you keep them fed, you should not have a coral eating issue....he also trains his....he said if you see it go after a coral to tap it on the head...like a dog...LOL.....and feed it a piece of shrimp.....I am gonna give mine some scallop tomorrow

1guydude

hmmm k I know some sites sell SOME puffers as reef safe. I was at the not so LFS yesterday and they said puffers were not reef safe. So i think its kinda mixed mixed views on this. Personally i dont think ill be getting one for my 75 just cuz i love my coral!
Kool addition anywayz meowzer! o and never say never...lol

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer#post_3393260
Hey DETH.....the guy who had this puffer has another one...3x the size (in a 54G with lots of corals)...he says as long as you keep them fed, you should not have a coral eating issue....he also trains his....he said if you see it go after a coral to tap it on the head...like a dog...LOL.....and feed it a piece of shrimp.....I am gonna give mine some scallop tomorrow

well mine is well feed. he gets a cocktail shrimp (90% of it. the other 10% goes to my small green-spotted puffer) every day. so i wouldn't think he would be starving lol. and if i had coral in the tank and he went after it, it would be hard to bop him on the head cause i would have to run and get the step-ladder just to reach that far down in the tank. :p

mproctor4

My dad had one in his 180g for years. He was my favorite fish ever. He was an eating machine! He would eat anything and everything 24/7. He kept him until it was about 9" long and then gave it to the local zoo who had it several more years in their giant tank. I can't fathom being able to "train" them. I just think you are really lucky if you get one that doesn't touch your coral (or your arm when it gets bigger). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, it is hard to make a decision--fish vs. corals. I am having that problem with my sailfin tang right now who has all of the sudden decided that corals are fun to play with, carries them around, picks them, tosses them. aaaggghhh..
We brought a spiney boxfish puffer home from the ocean last year because I couldn't resist him. He was sooo cute, about a 1/2" long. Big mistake! It was the beginning of an ick nightmare! At least yours is in the 54gal for now. Obviously, not good to get ick anywhere, but better than your big tank.

dethsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer#post_3393328
My dad had one in his 180g for years. He was my favorite fish ever. He was an eating machine! He would eat anything and everything 24/7. He kept him until it was about 9" long and then gave it to the local zoo who had it several more years in their giant tank. I can't fathom being able to "train" them. I just think you are really lucky if you get one that doesn't touch your coral (or your arm when it gets bigger). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, it is hard to make a decision--fish vs. corals. I am having that problem with my sailfin tang right now who has all of the sudden decided that corals are fun to play with, carries them around, picks them, tosses them. aaaggghhh..
We brought a spiney boxfish puffer home from the ocean last year because I couldn't resist him. He was sooo cute, about a 1/2" long. Big mistake! It was the beginning of an ick nightmare! At least yours is in the 54gal for now. Obviously, not good to get ick anywhere, but better than your big tank.
lol. the only time my puffer goes after my fingers is if i let him. i do it just to play around with him. his teeth are flat enough to were its just a bit of pressure IF he gets me the right way. most of the time he just kinda nibbles at me. but if i have most of my arm in the tank for w/e reason, he tends to hide a bit. and my puffer has been the only SW fish i have had to get ick (knock on friggin wood)

meowzer

IT ATE FROM MY HAND!!!! LOL....well we shall see how it goes. The guy had one at his house that was about 8" (in a 54G) and his tank is FULL of corals
I don;t have a lot of high priced corals in the 54G.....a few zoas, shrooms, a torch..etc......if I start to see anything go missing....I could move some stuff to other tanks.....
HOW FUNNY....it seems to come to me when I go by the tank...LOL
(do they have teeth??)

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethsight http:///forum/thread/386379/my-new-puffer#post_3393338
lol. the only time my puffer goes after my fingers is if i let him. i do it just to play around with him. his teeth are flat enough to were its just a bit of pressure IF he gets me the right way. most of the time he just kinda nibbles at me. but if i have most of my arm in the tank for w/e reason, he tends to hide a bit. and my puffer has been the only SW fish i have had to get ick (knock on friggin wood)
His wasn't mean at all. Just curious but when he started getting big it hurt. Mostly he would just grab the hair on your arms. Sometimes though he would get skin and it would look like hickies on your arm.
He never hid, had to be in the center of everything. He was only about an inch long when he got him. We brought him home from the ocean too. I loved that little guy.....I would give up my corals for him anyday. He did remind me of a puppy. I am already telling myself that I can NOT bring one home from the ocean this year, just too tempting. The little one I brought home last year was in a saltwater creek, he swam right up to me and was picking on my leg, then he swam in my bucket. Hubbie kept saying NO....but I took it as a sign that he liked me. Should have listened to hubbie. He actually survived the ick but died from a bacterial infection on his skin where the ick fell off. Very sad.
Yours is very pretty Meowzer. whatcha going to name her??