My new quarantine system

dangerfish

After a freak accident I decided to make a quarantine system, this is what it has become.

Notice the bubbles
IMG_2361.PNG

This was getting a lot of water on my light and my filter so I had to slow the intake and output of the air
IMG_2352.JPG
So this is how I slowed it
IMG_2353.JPG
This is the outcome
IMG_2360.PNG
Here is my whole setup (don't worry I cleaned this)
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG

Attachments

dangerfish

Don't worry I will treat only if needed, but the freak accident was when my grandpa bought me some fish (a fire fish(Jasmine), kole tang(Jack), two spot goby(Jeffery which was actually a girl)) and then my brother. Bought me a porcupine puffer(Blue), and I already had two clownfish(Nemo and Marlina). Well my kole tang had ich. I'd tried my best to get rid of it but he eventually died. Then the next week my two clowns died since they contracted the ich from the tang, then a month later my porcupine puffer who just stopped eating all together and died, then a month after that my two spot goby died(probably because I didn't have a developed sand bed). So now the only fish I have is Jasmine my fire fish and since she's been the only fish she's come out instead of hiding from the other more aggressive fish. But now I'm getting ready to get her two new friends (two clownfish that I'll probably get in November because I have to buy a new phone first) but yep that's basically what happened I had a lot of fish die in a short amount of time kind of. Excuse any bad grammar I'm tired and I just got off work.

lmforbis

If Jasmine has been in the main tank the whole time I'd suggest putting her in the new QT tank and treating her for ich. There are a couple reasons for this.

First off she may have it just not bad enough to see it.

Second as long as you have fish in the tank the ich will be in there too.

You are going to all the work of setting up a very nice QT tank and are planning to QT all future fish, if you put them in an infected tank all that care will be wasted.
The tank has to be left fallow (fishless) for 76 days to be sure the parasites to die off. They need fish to survive so no fish = parasite death.
Your single fire fish will do fine in a 20 gallon QT. Be sure to continue to feed the main tank during the fallow period. Just a little bit but you need to keep the bacteria alive.

dangerfish

Ok thank you I'll put her into the quarantine today. And I should treat the fish right to kill any ich that is on her.

lmforbis

If it were me I'd treat the fish. Take the copper level up slowly over 3-4 days. It is easier on the fish. Do you have a copper test kit? For cupramine use the seaChem test. NEVER use Prime or other ammonia detoxifies with copper. It WILL kill the fish.

You can also use hyposalinity to treat ich. This is easier on the fish. And it allows you to detoxify the ammonia that builds up.

Another thing I will suggest for your QT tank is an ammonia alert badge. This will work with copper treatment. Most ammonia tests give you a false positive when you are using cupramine.

You might suggest that people give you gift certificates instead of live animals.

dangerfish

Yes, I do have a copper test kit, and it just so happens to be the one by seachem so I'm all set their. And I have an ammonia alert badge in my display tank, do you think it's possible to move that one to my quarantine tank. Then I'll just buy a new one for my display tank so that way I don't have to hold things up with the shipping of the badge. And also what is hypo-salinity is that just when I raise up the salinity higher than normal if so how high do I raise it up.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You really don't need the airstone unless you just like looking at bubbles. It doesn't really do anything for the tank. Also, consider using hyposalinity to treat ich, rather than copper. But Cupramine is the best choice for copper treatment. Will need compatible test kit which you can also get from Seachem.

Glad you decided to set up a QT. I had a 20 long too and served me well.

dangerfish

Yeah I just added the bubbles to help oxygenate the aquarium a little more because I didn't know if my powerhead was enough, and also to agitate the surface a little bit more.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I just added the bubbles to help oxygenate the aquarium a little more because I didn't know if my powerhead was enough, and also to agitate the surface a little bit more.
It doesn't really oxygenate though since you just have O2 bubble surfacing and then disputing in to the air. But, if you like it, its fine. Some fish may like it as well, but the vibration may also bug them. You've already noted some of its more obvious problems. What is the gph on the pump?

dangerfish

It's 425 and is rated for my tank but you know it just didn't seem like enough. Hopefully the vibration doesn't bug them I didn't even think about that but I do have it turned off during the night by a timer because the pump was too loud for me and I wasn't able to sleep but that was before I restricted the intake after I did that it made it a lot less noisy.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You may need to just lower the pump to make sure that there is circulation going throughout the tank. It's a small tank so that should be enough. As I said, an airstone really isn't going to have any benefits. Also, changing noises made in tank can also cause fish stress, so maybe decide if you want it or not and leave it on or off. It doesn't move water. It just releases air bubbles in to the aquaria which then floats to the top of the water and is released in to the air..