my new seahorse pair

swlover

Beautiful! I have dwarves..they don't have the color that reg. size seahorses do but they sure are fun! I have two pair...both my males had babies..amazing how tiny they are, about the size of a grain of rice. One had two the other had six! Here is some pics of mine. Last pic is one of the babies about two days old.

B

baymonkey

OMG that sea horse looks huge in that first pic. Swlover your babies are so cute. :happyfish

swlover

thanks! I want to get reg size sea horses too, but I need another tank, they can't be kept together. I love the pintos..but man they are expensive!

swlover

Your male looks prego! I know my dwarves gestation period is only 14 days..I'm not sure on big sea horses, I assume it is the same. So you may have some babies! Have they been dancing? THAT is cool to watch. Let us know!

swlover

15 gallon...I know it's big for them but it's the oldest tank I have. They sudjest 5-10 gallon for dwarves..better to be too big than too small though. I put a filter sock on my filter so the live food will be caught in it..that way the food dosen't get lost or sucked up the filter before they can get to it...or the seahorses! I have had babies sucked into the filter before, but they are so small they by pass the impeller without a scratch and get dumped back in the tank. Still a scary ride for them! Why did you want to know?

alyssia

You should actually have more than a pair of dwarves if your tank is going to be a 10 gallon.
I have h.kudas, and I really want some potbellies, but they need a really big tank.

aquageek

I love your horses! I am thinking about setting up a tank with horses in the future. What type of filtration do you use and what size tank is that?

swlover

Originally Posted by Crox
I would like to setup a 10g and put a pair of those dwarfs. :jumping: :jumping:
10 gallon is fine for a pair, they breed like rabbits and before you know it you will have a tank full...well thats my experience with them. I ordered 2 pair for 15 gallon and the one male had his babies during shipping, then a week later my other male had his babies...I had 13 of them in 2 weeks! So you can see how they will fill up a tank in no time, and the babies grow fast, I can bearly tell who is baby and who is adult now, 2 months. Make sure you don't have powerheads in there, and put something over the intake filter cause they will get stuck in there, even the adults. Clean up crew is ok, small hermits, snails, no brittle starfish they will go after the babies, I had a couple disappear, moved the starfish into another tank and no more disappearences. Get a brineshrimp hatchery, they will only accept live foods when you first get them. Now mine are starting to accept frozen foods, and flakes. Because they are so small, you need something like dead seafan for them to hang onto or that fake seaweed. I feed mine 1 time a day and fast on sunday, they say 2 times a day but i found it was polluting my tank too much. I hope this helps you, I'm no expert on seahorses, just stating my experience with them and what I have read about them. I have a great site I go to to learn all I can, email me if you want to check it out and you can get everything seahorse related there.

alyssia

Originally Posted by swlover
10 gallon is fine for a pair, they breed like rabbits and before you know it you will have a tank full...well thats my experience with them. I ordered 2 pair for 15 gallon and the one male had his babies during shipping, then a week later my other male had his babies...I had 13 of them in 2 weeks! So you can see how they will fill up a tank in no time, and the babies grow fast, I can bearly tell who is baby and who is adult now, 2 months. Make sure you don't have powerheads in there, and put something over the intake filter cause they will get stuck in there, even the adults. Clean up crew is ok, small hermits, snails, no brittle starfish they will go after the babies, I had a couple disappear, moved the starfish into another tank and no more disappearences. Get a brineshrimp hatchery, they will only accept live foods when you first get them. Now mine are starting to accept frozen foods, and flakes. Because they are so small, you need something like dead seafan for them to hang onto or that fake seaweed. I feed mine 1 time a day and fast on sunday, they say 2 times a day but i found it was polluting my tank too much. I hope this helps you, I'm no expert on seahorses, just stating my experience with them and what I have read about them. I have a great site I go to to learn all I can, email me if you want to check it out and you can get everything seahorse related there.

Aren't the fry hard to raise? You're lucky, I have NEVER heard of dwarves accepting anything but live brine.