My new Top Off system

bobbyzat

I just finished my auto top off about two months ago, and it has worked perfectly, so I thought I would tell everyone about it so they could use/improve on the system. It starts with my RO/DI unit, which has a 4 gallon pressure tank. I have a faucet for making new water, and a tube that runs to my tank coming out of the pressure tank. The tube goes into a normally closed solenoid valve that I actually found from a heating/AC store, cuz my parents had a humidifier put onto their furnace, and thats where I saw it. The bladder tank keeps pressure at the solenoid valve. I then built a small H frame out of PVC pipe I had laying around, and added a float switch. This sits in my sump The switch hangs from the crossmember, and as the water level lowers, it closes the circuit, providing current to the solenoid valve, allowing it to open until the water level increases enough to open the circuit again. After some consideration, I decided to add a second float switch a few inches high, so that if the first one gets stuck closed, the water will open the circuit with that one, stopping water flow. Once I got the crossmember level right, it works great, and is silent and virtually invisible.

bobbyzat

I hate to say it, but no picture will be available for a while. I got this set up shortly before I came over here to Iraq. The switches themselves are very small, slightly wider around that a quarter. The have about a one inch tall float, mounted to a shaft 3/8' or so shaft that is threaded. there are two wires coming out. The frame I built looks like the letter "H" with two center beams. Just pvc tee's and pipe. The two crossbeams are cut open and have holes drilled in em to mount the switches. They just hang down from the beam. They both face the same way, and when all the way down, close the circuit providing power to the solenoid valve. If the bottom one sticks, the circuit will still be closed providing power until the second one floats up, and breaks the contacts. Hope this helps a little. If I can find the link again for the switches, Ill let ya know. They were only like 6 bucks a piece, very reasonable, small, and perfect for the space. I have this sitting in my wet dry filter, just to give an idea of the size.