my plastic base has cracked, does it matter?

ticalien

I was given a 55g tank which upon further inspection I noticed the plastic in the corners of my base ring has some cracking and one corner has completly broken. I've reboneded it with plastic epoxy, but I'm not sure that will stand up to the weight of a full tank and I fear the tank shifting when it seperates. Does anyone have any recomedations as to what I might do?
Thanks

mr_bill

Have you checked if it leaks water yet? Maybe your just better off tossing it if it leaks and has a damaged base.

kaotik

the plastic ring usually keeps the tank level, so if one side is broken, the tank will be leaning in that direction which will put more strain on that side of the tank seals which in time could lead to a leak. I would also wonder if the glass is cracked underneath the plastic. If the crack is not doing anything to the level of the tank and the glass is fine, you might just want to fill it and do a leak test in your garage or something. It might be fine.

mudplayerx

It should be fine.... although the tank is like the least expensive part of the hobby, so if you decided to buy a new one, it wouldn't affect your wallet compared to say a rare coral or a set of metal halide lights..... or even the tank stand.