My Poor Feather Duster

tnguyen69

I need some advice on what to do to this poor thing. Here's the story, I was re-arranging my tank, and I wanted to move my feather duster, so I stupidly pulled him from under a rock. He won't budge! He was happy where he was, so I pulled harder and POP!! Out came the whole tube, but NO WORM? Then I noticed some feathers from under the rock. The thing left the tube from the back end! I didn't know this was possible.
Anyways, I turned the rock around to expose him. He won't go anywhere and he is stuck to this rock. He seems to be healthy and alive, just won't go anywhere. He's been like this for 2 days. I think he still thinks he's in the tube.
What should I do? Just leave him? Or pull him off the rock? If so, where do i put him? I just don't want him to suffer anymore. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

joker_ca

leave him in your tank, it looks like you have a sand base if so just put some sand around him so that he can form a new tube but not to much just enough to cover him and make sure nobody is picking at him
hopfully he survives, good luck

leadan

I agree,, if your duster was not damaged and "left" the tube, then he should be fine. Do not get impatient though it may take a while for it to build another tube. Mine threw its feathers at the pet shop so I had to wait for them to grow back. Two weeks and they are small now. Just keep him hidden from predators and make sure he has food source and he should get busy building new home. You may want to set him on the sand but surround him with rock protection. Good luck should be fine after a while.

tnguyen69

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not so worried anymore. You guys are right, he is starting to make a new tube. It is pretty neat how they do that. Good thing there is nothing in the tank that would like him for dinner.
Thanks again

kcobain111

I have a feather duster now that lost it's duster.....I heard most die after this but mind is actuallt growing a new one. I don't know where the old one went or what happened but one day i thought he was dead and now he comes out with his new crown! i'm pretty happy about it.

texasex

No, most do not die after throwing their crown. They do that when they get stressed or disturbed. They will grow completely back in about 2 - 3 weeks. Mine has done so twice, due to pesky hermit crabs!