My protein skimmer's water level isn't consistent.

chris009

I have a corallife 220, and the water level in the skimmer flucuates about +/- and inch. I believe the problem may be the fact that the water excaping the skimmer isn't leaving in a consistent manner. Oxygen bubbles sometimes burst out of the escape, causing the level to lower. Is there anyway to fix this problem? Or is it even a problem? My skimmer is in a sump that has a piece of glass to regulate the water level the skimmer is in.

J

jrthomas40

mine does the same thing...this is the reason i think it is an inconsistent skimmer...it does good when it is skimming correctly but throughout the day it fluctuates due to evaporation....i am trying to get the nerve to mesh mod the pump and see if that will help if you make it pull more air it will increase the contact time and foam a whole lot more allowing you to turn the red knob to a lower volume but still increasing the skim

J

jrthomas40

i can watch mine go up and down within minutes but i leave alone and always get more crud collection in the bubble tube of the collection cup then in the actual cup

chris009

I tried covering up the hole on top of the tube where the water exits. THis just causes the water level to lower, but it also allows the water to excape at a constant rate.

J

jrthomas40

when you cover it up what do the bubbles in your reaction chamber do??? do you get more or less??

chris009

I don't know, let me go check... lol. I'm not talking about the tubing that comes out of the pump to give it air

chris009

I just put a piece of tape over it and then raised the water level to the right spot since it dropped. The amount of air bubbles in the water seems to be the same.

J

jrthomas40

interesting...i need to try it on mine and see what it does....does the drain gurggle now? or is it louder?

J

jrthomas40

i would keep it like that for awhile and see how the skimmer reacts....like does it start to skim more