My refug ideas

tgill

Hello,
I am trying to put in a smalll refug. Please tell me what you think.
I am going to try the rubbermaid bucket and drill two holes for overflow. I was thinking of splitting my overflow from my main tank to avoid using an additional pump.
The overflow from the rubbermaid is going to be two holes (two so incase one gets stopped up it wont flood. and feed right into the sump return pump.
This is my first draft please let me know what you think.
B

montidanae

they not have the tank overflow into the fuge, then have the fuge overflow into the filter sock in the sump?

tgill

The reason for me not putting the fuge overflow into the sock is I think I will loose the pods from the fuge.
I am concerned about stuff from the fuge getting into my pump so I am thinking about ways to stop that (baffles etc..)

montidanae

if the filter sock is in the fuge and the water goes through the ock while going through the fuge, then it would be ok.

tgill

The filter sock is not in the fuge is in the sump which is after the fuge. (ie water from display tank -> 1/2 water to sump other 1/2 water to fuge .... fuge water to sump and back to display.
(not very clear but kinda understandable)

montidanae

no, if you put the sock in the fuge, and have one drain going to the fuge, into the sock, then the fuge draining to sump, then pumped to main tank.

tgill

If I do it that way wouldent 700 gph in a 10 gal fuge be too much flow?(70x turnover rate)

squidd

Originally posted by tgill
If I do it that way wouldent 700 gph in a 10 gal fuge be too much flow?(70x turnover rate)

That is correct..you have it right..
In fact you will probably want to put a ball valve on the line to the fuge to slow it down some I say 3x-5x fuge volume for turn over others say 5x-7x (depends on what's in your fuge)