My Saltwater Headboard

benj420

I will try to recall the prices as best I can, but it has been 3 years and some of it is a little foggy.
4 x 72" WHO IceCap Retro Kit (w/ shipping) $500.00
48" x 96" x .375" Cell Cast Acrylic - $250.00
Wood for base and surround/hood $200.00
Wood finishing supplies (glue, stain, screws, etc) $30.00
Sump tank (standard 20G tall) $25.00
Return pump - Supreme MagDrive 5 $50.00
Powerheads $50.00
Other plumbing (check valve, hose, loc-line parts, glue, etc) $40.00
Protein Skimmer $100.00
Live Rock $300.00
Bucket of Salt $40.00
Livestock $Who knows
Southdown (YardRight) Sand $40.00
Hood Fans $20.00
I think that is about it for initial expenses. Like I said above, who knows what the dollar value is of the livestock I have put in it. Most of the corals were frags and under $10 each.
All of the above rough prices total up to about $1650.00 for startup costs. I didn't keep track, but probably spent about 100 hours of time building the whole thing. If you have the tools and skills, you could do it for about that price. If you are interested in having one made for you, the price would be about $2500.00, not including the rock, sand, livestock, or salt. I say about $2500 because if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of having a custom tank made, it should be made the way you want it, with the wood and finish you like, exact tank dimensions you want, etc. and that could change the price.

J

jdragunas

lol... not yet.. i will. that's my next major goal... in 5 years (besides the addition i want to put on my home... but that's only so i can fit the 300 gallon tank in it somewhere... lmao)
And no lunar lights... i have to sleep in pitch black. It's so bad i had to put a piece of electrical tape over the numbers on my humidifier...

E

exile415

awesome. you can just wake up in the morning to a beautiful tank. awesome clam shot

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is cool. I'm assuming you have a room in back of the tank/wall that houses the "behind the scenes" nuts and bolts?

benj420

Originally Posted by Devaji108
Nice! has it ever leaked on you? what did you use to seal the tank?
and gule it too??
very nice tank!
No, not a drop. It is made out of cell cast acrylic and I used Weld-On #4 solvent cement to join it all together. Technically, it's not a glue as the solvent "melts" the two joining pieces together. If done correctly you don't need to seal the tank with silicon or anything like that.
Originally Posted by Beth

That is cool. I'm assuming you have a room in back of the tank/wall that houses the "behind the scenes" nuts and bolts?
The drain and return pipes are the only thing behind the tank, so it sits about 4 inches from the wall. All of the other equipment is underneath, which most can be seen in the pictures if you follow the link I posted earlier. I don't have any pictures of the back right now and the lights are off for the day, so maybe I will take some tomorrow and post them.

the monkey

Wow... My wife thinks I love my tank more than I love her... She actually told me to go BLANK the tank.... that gets me thinking..... ;)

reefdweler

Originally Posted by Benj420
I will try to recall the prices as best I can, but it has been 3 years and some of it is a little foggy.
4 x 72" WHO IceCap Retro Kit (w/ shipping) $500.00
48" x 96" x .375" Cell Cast Acrylic - $250.00
Wood for base and surround/hood $200.00
Wood finishing supplies (glue, stain, screws, etc) $30.00
Sump tank (standard 20G tall) $25.00
Return pump - Supreme MagDrive 5 $50.00
Powerheads $50.00
Other plumbing (check valve, hose, loc-line parts, glue, etc) $40.00
Protein Skimmer $100.00
Live Rock $300.00
Bucket of Salt $40.00
Livestock $Who knows
Southdown (YardRight) Sand $40.00
Hood Fans $20.00
I think that is about it for initial expenses. Like I said above, who knows what the dollar value is of the livestock I have put in it. Most of the corals were frags and under $10 each.
All of the above rough prices total up to about $1650.00 for startup costs. I didn't keep track, but probably spent about 100 hours of time building the whole thing. If you have the tools and skills, you could do it for about that price. If you are interested in having one made for you, the price would be about $2500.00, not including the rock, sand, livestock, or salt. I say about $2500 because if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of having a custom tank made, it should be made the way you want it, with the wood and finish you like, exact tank dimensions you want, etc. and that could change the price.
How much was the acrylic sheets?

yimmy

That is awesome....maybe you could hook your water bed up to the tank and have a huge sump :thinking:

tompenz

Awesome, and what a great idea to be able to say"honey, come lay on my bed and look at my tank!" Good thing fish tell no tales hehehe.