My second new tank?!?!

drewsta

Ok so everyone who was scared about my fish in the 37G I decided to splurge with some of my bonus money, so I bought a 75G today for my home
So now I have a few questions :notsure: What kind of pump should I use and also what would be some ok fish to put in here, I already have a volitan lion, and a snowflake eel that are both babies. Thanks

80sbaby

Definitely a clown trigger and some damsels. I got 2 pink and yellow-its funny they make sure everyone knows that its their tank.
They can hold there own -just make sure they dont fit a lions mouth. You might to put them in first. Is it a dwarf lion?

lion_crazz

Well, I will have to say definitely no triggers, as they need more swimming space and will usually rip apart a lion, especially if it is a baby and you are suggesting a clown trigger.
I would just use a mag drive pump, assuming that you will have a sump or wet/dry.

drewsta

thanks lion I have been looking into the mag pumps they seem to be really reliable. GET THIS I got it at *****, I would never buy fish there but I got this tank and stand for $250 total thats after tax! :joy:
:joy:
I will be putting oak re-inforcements In there today most likely just to give it some extra strength

drewsta

NO DAMSELS NO WAY NO HOW EVER! LOL I was thinking of getting a yellow tang and a hippo tang and some green chromis

drewsta

just went online a minute ago and bought from catalina a sump/refuge/overflow/skimmer for $250 rated for a 150G tank I think I got a good deal anyone use this setup if so let me know. I've never heard of catalina pumps but the setup was a good deal and I can always buy new pumps.

lion_crazz

That is good that you are doing a sump. With the way you had it, it looked as if you had the tank flush against the wall which made me think you were not doing a sump.
I personally like Catalina pumps. They are not the first brand that I would recommend to customers because they do not have the best reputation (supposedly), but I have never had a bad experience when working with them. On my old 75, I used a catalina pump to run my skimmer and it worked flawlessly until I broke the tank down to convert everything to my current 210. Also, I set up someone's tank with a catalina, and that never broke on them either.
That is the pump that ETSS gives with its Super Reef Devil skimmers. I have never personally heard any complaints but supposedly they have a bad rep.

drewsta

Thanks Lion I wonder why they have a bad rep i've been reading on diff forums and noone seems to have problems with them?? + The refuge with the light on it is awesome it looks like a good setup for the price, at my LFS the have normal sumps for like $299.99 for my size tank

lion_crazz

Yeah, I don't know why they have bad reps. Many of the intelligent and experienced people I used to work with informed me that they were not quite all that good, but I never had any problems with them.

drewsta

Ok so here is the update on my new 75G I finally got the lights in from the auction site
I have in there right now 80Lbs of sand and 80Lbs of live rock that I got for $100 :joy: what a deal, and I will be adding about 40Lbs of base rock today and start aquascaping as soon as I get the tank full. Wish me luck on the aquascaping
LOL. p.s. look at that awesome rock :joy:

timdaddie

Great deal. Nice tank. I was planing on finishing my rock work off with base rock to. I read on here that I should cure the base rock in another container for eight weeks till I put it in my tank. Does any one have an opinion on this.

drewsta

I cured my base rock in a container for 5 days with a powerhead, I also used vinegar to kill any inhabitants that may be in there (i.e. ants, spiders, etc...) The water is still cloudy so I will post the new pics tomorrow

hot883

Originally Posted by Drewsta
just went online a minute ago and bought from catalina a sump/refuge/overflow/skimmer for $250 rated for a 150G tank I think I got a good deal anyone use this setup if so let me know. I've never heard of catalina pumps but the setup was a good deal and I can always buy new pumps.

I bought the same one last year and love it. You will still have to buy return lines etc. but works great for me. If you have any questions setting it up shoot me an email. bcool831@pldi.net
I have helped 3-4 people set theirs up already. I had to get 2 replacement skimmers but they worked with me and no questions asked and did not even have to ship the bad ones back.

drewsta

I finally got it all going the freaking skimmer was a pain in the rear
!!! I'm just kinda worried about water levels and my overflow going dry and my pump returning 6/9 gallons of water while i'm sleeping :thinking: I had to rig up my skimmer because it didn't have a ventrini so I had to improvise... I think its working so far.. I will post pics of aquascaping tomorrow however here is my refuge/sump/skimmer combo up and running. i'm a little low on space in my stand :thinking: