My shrooms have red spots on them??????

nitram

I've noticed that my mushrooms have some spots on them. I resently moved my tank over to a new spot, I didnt mess with the bed ,I pulled out the water then put it back in. I checked my water, Ammonia was almost none detected and My Nitrate was very high like 100.00 could this be the problem,PLEASE HELP, here is a pic to see what you guys think.

bigarn

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
Looks like red flatworms:scared: :scared: :scared:

That's my guess also Salty. That's why I wanted to know if they moved at all. :D

a&m aggie 04'

you need to get your nitrates down, start with water changes. Do you have a refuge, if not I would probably consider installing one to lower those trates.
You should get the flatworms out pronto. There are a few ways to remove them, one is buying a six-line wrasse...its hit or miss with them though. Another is buying a nudibranch, not sure what kind (know bluevelvet will eat some) but someone will chime in-- also a hit or miss on whether they'll eat them. Or you can go the chemical route...flatworm exit made by salifert. I've heard it works great buy many try to avoid adding chemicals to their tanks
HTH and Good Luck,
Mark

nitram

ok ive looked at the spots and they dont look like they have moved, they look more like blisters. i havnt poot anything in my tank in a long time. how long does it take for them to start showing up if its flatworms?

barry cuda

Flatworms aren't really a problem in most tanks, IMHO - just ugly.
They aren't terribly easy to get rid of, either. For every one you see, there are several that you don't. Flatworm Exit is the only way I know of that will actually kill them all, and I know of people here in south Texas who still have them after treating with it. You can use manual removal to keep their numbers under control, and as others have suggested there are a couple wrasse species that *may* eat them.

nitram

Ok I have really stared at the spots there in the same place as before they dont seem to be spreading or geting bigger but it still is wigging me out I am puting in a neither picture with no flash and a little better than the last maybbe someone can see something.

jodilynn

I don't mean to get off of the subject but Barry-cuda I was wondering if I might get your email so that I can ask you some questions about living in San Antonio. We are thinking of moving to Kerrville. Thanks.
Jodilynn
bjbundy@mybluelight.com
Also, about the red spots, have you tried to gently use your nail and see if you can scrap off these bumps? If you nudge them and if they are flatworms they will start moving. I would take a rock out and look at it closely to help find out what you are dealing with.

vibe

i had the same problem once. i bought a six lined wrasse and he took care of everything. never saw them again. and he never went hungry:D

spmnarciso

Remove the mushroom rock. Hopefully that was the start of them. Go out and buy a six-line wrasse and hopefully he will take care of the remaining. Flatworms can increase in numbers very quickly and become a nuisance. Do a search on flatworms and read how many have gotten rid of them.
Good Luck

nitram

well guys I think you all have nailed it on the head here is a litle something I found on the net
Some are truly parasites feeding on corals, while others more of less scavenge feeding on detritus, diatoms, and dead organisms. Non-parasitic flatworms are of no danger, and most die off due to lack of food source in the Aquaria. One of the aspects that makes some of these worms problematic is that they can reproduce both sexually and asexually making to potential for an explosive population in a short time.
This may be a common scene for those of you whom have experienced flatworms. Planaira like this have reportedly infested soft, and hard corals, as well as Discosoma.If left to their own the worms will certianly multiply. From my observations corals in my system acting as host to the ocasional flat worm never seemed to be damaged by the organisms. Documentations does not seem to corelate coral death with an infestation, or at least directly. In this case they may simply be feeding off the surface of the coral
Removal of these worms if preditation has not been successful can be a simple a a quick freshwater bath. Make sure to follow the correct procedure in the make up of the water and matching the temperature. A 10 second dip should free the worm from the surface of the coral, and then you can return it to it's home in your tank. These worms are so small and many transparent that it would be difficult at best to prevent their introduction to your tank. the picture kind of looks like what I have Im going to try to make them move if I can. Thanks so much guys for your help, you guys are good>>>>>>

T

tizzo

HOLD THE FARM!! You may not hafta do a freshwater dip or treat your whole tank!! Try removing the rocks with the shrooms and treating only those with Salifet's Exit!! Measure out 1 gallon, use a tupperware bowl or bucket and treat only that. Have a turkey baster handy so you can blast them out from all the nooks and crannies. HTH

nitram

Well guys it is for sure Red Flat Worms. I touched them with my cleaning rode and they moved very fast. It looks like they are only on a couple of the mushrooms. I think I will try the freash water dip so Can you guys tell me how to do this. I have never done this before and is it dangerous to the shrooms so please let me know how to do this or if there is a better way just let me know.. Thanks a million guys

nitram

sorry Tizzo you posted while i was writing this last post. That sounds good. on this rock there are 3 brittle star fish in the holes and a couple of small featherdusters, also there is one of those hermite crabs that lives in small holes in your rock will this hurt them.

nitram

the tiny hermit crab is a Paguritta gracilipes.here is a couple of pics. this is not a picture of mine they are so small that it is almost imposable to take a good picture.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by NITRAM
sorry Tizzo you posted while i was writing this last post. That sounds good. on this rock there are 3 brittle star fish in the holes and a couple of small featherdusters, also there is one of those hermite crabs that lives in small holes in your rock will this hurt them.

Nope. Flatworm Exit is totally safe as long as you use it as directed.
I once dipped an infested coral in the stuff, here are some pics for fun...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...highlight=exit