My Stress Relief Tank

bronco300

Well I was finally able to talk the boss into letting me set up a tiny nano tank at work....its 1.5gallons with about 2 lbs of rock in it,lol...I have a coworker bringing me a pair of harlequin shrimps....yes, i know they only eat starfish..so I will be getting three chocolate stars and will rotate them so i dont have to kill the starfish, but can still feed the harlequins fine....I put some nassarius snails in there as they are by far my favorite snail--I'm also trying out the new Rio mini sun led system...i emailed Rio and they said the par level is pretty bad so doubt it'll be able to have anything in it, but i'll see if i cant get a par rating and hopefully maybe i can keep a xenia....but anyways..I like it. Oh and I have the Hi-Q HOB filter on the back. Now I finally have some stress relief when it gets to hectic at work...Here are pictures:
(oh and the water is higher than that now)

bronco300

haha, they went for the starfish just about right away....I think they are around 1.5" in length...they are very awesome....poor little chocolate star lost his chips,haha.

blazin2k6

WOW THOSE ARE THE MOST AWESOME LOOKING SHRIMP. WOWWWW SO PRETTY. Poor starfish have to lose their lives like that. poor creatures. Nice looking tank and everything !

fishy4991

where do you keep the starfish? I want to try a pair of those shrimp
how often does the light have to be kept on?
how often do they eat a part of the starfish?

paintballer768

Just curious, are you feeding them small asterina stars or plan on buying medium sized stars to feed them? If you feed them choco stars it could get quite expensive haha.

bronco300

I actually keep 6 chocolate chips in a sump on another main tank...that way i just cut off a limb of the star and get to the shrimp...then while that star regenerates its leg, i move to another one,etc...from what i hear that can eat partial every other day or so...I just got them so i havent figured out their schedule yet...but i'm panning on doing it every other for now of small pieces....but i'm telling you now, those starfish are HARD...i assume stars were pretty fleshy and would be easy to take a razor blade to, but it was not at all...next time i'll be using bone butters....and then i'll also put in astrinas from the main tank...but i'm not worried about cost, i have a good provider for cheap chocolates.
oh, and i keep the mini sun on about 8hrs a day, my normal workday.

bronco300

they are greedy to!!! the light colored one seems to be the bully and ends up with both pieces of the star, so i'll have to watch that...but i need to get my camera and take a movie of when they go into their scare mode...they do cool movements to try and scare the other away,lol

fishy4991

lol awesome
I wanted to have either a seahorse or shrimp only pico and I have just made up my mind to do these type of shrimp in either a 1 gallon or 2 gallon

bronco300

they're playing much better today....it was kind of odd as there were lots of tidbits on the sand...i'm guessing they were from the chocolate chips...i got a few of them out and they were hard like a bone...but there were lots of tiny pieces, about the size of a BB...a bit smaller

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2686816
I actually keep 6 chocolate chips in a sump on another main tank...that way i just cut off a limb of the star and get to the shrimp...then while that star regenerates its leg, i move to another one,etc...from what i hear that can eat partial every other day or so...I just got them so i havent figured out their schedule yet...but i'm panning on doing it every other for now of small pieces....but i'm telling you now, those starfish are HARD...i assume stars were pretty fleshy and would be easy to take a razor blade to, but it was not at all...next time i'll be using bone butters....and then i'll also put in astrinas from the main tank...but i'm not worried about cost, i have a good provider for cheap chocolates.
oh, and i keep the mini sun on about 8hrs a day, my normal workday.
I wanted to do that too but a lot of people said that's cruel.

bronco300

well theyd eat something out int he wild too...im not going to be continually buying star after star and kill them..its also probably not the nicest to take all our fish from the big ocean to our 75 gallon tanks, but we do it still.