My STUPID ODDYSEA LIGHTS!!!!!!!!

ryanhayes9

I bought a 48" 216 watt High output t5's light made by oddysea. I have had it for not even a month. i was instaling a new canister filter when i hear BOOM! One of the sockets that holds the light bulb in exploded! the socket is like a dark brown color. Now when i turn my light on i get this weird like ticking noise and smell a burning smell.... what should i do?? :scared:

I have anemones and clams that NEED this light!

cgrant

whatever you do dont run those lights, you can very well cause a fire and burn down your home! :scared:
When i got my pc's i looked into those and found that they are the same company as jebo.
How old are they? Maybe you can return them? If not I would rewire/replace them to make sure it doesnt happen again!

ryanhayes9

freakin awesome!
i emaled em last night and still no response. they WILL send me more lights for free. i bought them a month ago. it will take like a week for them to come.. what should i do?
how log can corals go with normal flourescent lights?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
freakin awesome!
i emaled em last night and still no response. they WILL send me more lights for free. i bought them a month ago. it will take like a week for them to come.. what should i do?
how log can corals go with normal flourescent lights?
you should be ok for a week. Did you stress to them that you aquatic life depends on those lights??

my way

Ryan, you have been here long enough to have read how many people have problems with this companies products, why did you still buy them?
I'm sorry to see you waste your money like this, but with a little research, you would have been able to save money by purchasing a quality product by a quality manufacturer. Now save up and buy some REAL lights.

joncat24

Ryan, since you were actually working on the tank at the time this happened is it possible that you splashed oir bumped the light somehow? I am not saying that u did, but it just seems funny that it happened at that exact moment.
Don't take this wrong. I am not trying to argue with you. Just asking

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by My Way
Ryan, you have been here long enough to have read how many people have problems with this companies products, why did you still buy them?
I'm sorry to see you waste your money like this, but with a little research, you would have been able to save money by purchasing a quality product by a quality manufacturer. Now save up and buy some REAL lights.

actually the only ting i heard bad about them applied to the metal halide version
i have actually heard on here that the only good thing oddysea makes are lights.

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by joncat24
Ryan, since you were actually working on the tank at the time this happened is it possible that you splashed oir bumped the light somehow? I am not saying that u did, but it just seems funny that it happened at that exact moment.
Don't take this wrong. I am not trying to argue with you. Just asking

dont worry,
the time i was working on it i was under the stand working on the new canister filter. the lights ahve a built in plastic cover over them in the light
btw the one blew 2 nights ago as they all caught on fire last night.

miaheatlvr

dont worry,
the time i was working on it i was under the stand working on the new canister filter. the lights ahve a built in plastic cover over them in the light
btw the one blew 2 nights ago as they all caught on fire last night.
I have my 24" 130w PC's. so far so good! about 4 months running now! "KNOCK ON WOOD"

mrsdorothy

I have the same light on my tank. The only problem so far is that my fans sound like a washing machine. Sounds like some vibration in there somewhere. I ordered the nova extreme 8x54 watt to replace this one.

cgrant

see if they will give you credit to upgrade, you are asking for trouble using those lights, like burning your house down trouble!
If they give you a hard time about credit for a better light demand your money back, that should change his/her tune!
my rule-of-thumb...never buy anything jebo/odysea.
where did you buy them?

madman33

Originally Posted by CGRANT
my heater is still running aafter 10+ years of use....maybe they made better stuff back then...

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by CGRANT
see if they will give you credit to upgrade, you are asking for trouble using those lights, like burning your house down trouble!
If they give you a hard time about credit for a better light demand your money back, that should change his/her tune!
where did you buy them?
i cant post the website. but something traders.com

brucewrs

i cant post the website. but something traders.com
Let me know if you get in touch with them....My light is 2 weeks old and a bad ballast..Both of my atinics dont work..48" 542 watt light!

doglvr

Phew! When doing the shopping I narrowed down to the Ody MH's or Nova T5's. Glad I went with Nova's and my corals love them too

chipmaker

I have never heard or read too much of anyhting being good with Odyysea lights or JEBO products in general. They are nortorious for having such a great diversity in lifespan and death. Some last forever while the majority seems to die fairly quick. Their ballasts are pure unadulterated garbage, so no matter what the rest of the light assembly is made form is moot since the ballast is the heart and soul of the assembly.
I certainly would not take a chance. Lots of luck getting a reply back or one that would be favorable to you anyhow from aqua ripoffs..........

mandarin w

I seen and heard of fires with those light also, The guy that owns the LFS in our area had a set of those over the fish only tank, and was in the back of the store working on something. Next thing he knew, the smoke alarm was going off, came out front the find the light unit just a smoking. But the time he got across the room, flames start coming out. This was less than a month after he had a simular incident with a different unit of the same type of lights. He no longer will carry, or even order those lights for a customer. By the way, the store was only about 2 or 3 months old when this happened. so it wasn't that the lights were old. There is just something with the wireing and the ballast. Just be aware.