My tank floods - power outage

penelopez

Need help,
my tank floods into my sump everytime the power goes out. I can set up buckets as overflows (with PVC, like a sink) to cathc the 10 gallons or so that funnels out but its a lot of water.
Are there any other ways to protect my carpet without the home-ade sump overflow catch?

luca brasi

How long and how often? I use a battery back-up for my pump only. I get about 2 hours out of it. I recommend it for everyone...

ameno

your sump pump is back feeding when it looses power. You can drill a small hole just below the water line in the DT on the return line and that should break the siphon from feeding back into you sump.

crt81

Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
How long and how often? I use a battery back-up for my pump only. I get about 2 hours out of it. I recommend it for everyone...

What battery back-up pump are you using?

penelopez

I dont have a battery backup - too expensive, plus what i the power is out for three hours. Thought they were very expensive...any brand you recommend?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Penelopez
I dont have a battery backup - too expensive, plus what i the power is out for three hours. Thought they were very expensive...any brand you recommend?
Which would you rather buy...a $100 UPS or new carpet..?

earlybird

No need for a batter back up for 3 hrs of power outage IMO. You need to drill a small hole in your return plumbing, normally a "directional U-tube." The hole should be drilled below the water level of your DT so that it breaks siphon when water level gets to the hole as it sucks in air. Some use in addition to the hole a check valve plumbed in-line.