My Tank

kailiek

ohh, he is so cute, looks like he'd do a trick or two as well. good pics. what other fish do you plan on getting?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by molly05
watch out for ich
That's not a very positive attitude!!!
To the original poster, congrats!!! He looks really good and healthy!! Here's mine posing for me!!!

bacia

Really nice Tang. Good color. You might want to think about getting a cleaner shrimp. The skunk cleaner shrimp are the least expensive. My tang seems to like getting cleaned.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Bacia
Really nice Tang. Good color. You might want to think about getting a cleaner shrimp. The skunk cleaner shrimp are the least expensive. My tang seems to like getting cleaned.
As long as you keep up with your water quality and with good quality food, the fish would do just fine. Cleaner Shrimp wouldn't do much!!! :happyfish

mike22cha

This is an older thread but I didn't feel like starting a new one. Since the yellow tang i've boughten a purple and sailfin tang. If you read the thread I started about the dilema between the tangs then you know the tangs don't get along to well. Well the purple is the main guy, then he bullies the yellow, and the yellow bullies my juvinile sailfin.
The yellows fin is a little nipped, not to bad. The sailfins fin is all torn and looks really bad. I was wondering if there was a divider for a 18inch wide tank. All i found was smaller tank dividers. After the fins are healed i plan on selling the yellow and sailfin. Anyone seen a suitable divider for this size of tank?
After the tangs i bought two small corals for the 125 (which i also got some nice lights for chirstmas) and a orange linka star, conchs and hermits.
I plan on getting some green chromis, yellowtail blue damsel, and sgt. major, and three stripe damsel. I was also wondering about gorgorions, it says that the eat meaty food, would that be like filter feeding meaty foods or what?

mandarin w

Putting dividers in the tank is not going to help the situation any, The tangs will be in a much smaller area, and will not have the swimming room they need. This will stress them out. Your best bet, as mentioned several times before, is the take two of the fish back to the LFS.

mike22cha

Well the purple does swim all over but the others just hide behind a large rock in my tank and sometimes come out but are usually chased back. The tank divider would probably stress the purple but wouldn't it be better for the other two? I was hoping to get their fins back so i could at least get some money to help get the other fish, but i am considering taking them back. I am open minded to any suggestions. the fighting is not bad but i would still rather have nice looking fish in there without everybodies fins torn.

mandarin w

I would get them out of there. They are overly stress in their present situation. That is why the don't come out from behind the rocks. They probly aren't getting to eat enough because the purple doesn't let them. I don't think there chances of making it are good, if left in that situation much longer. If you have a spare tank I would set that up for them. or Take them back to the LFS and suffer the Loss. I don't mean to be harsh. but you were told before that those fish would have a hard time getting along. They are from the same family. It was your own selfishness that you decided to keep them. Now they have spent the last few months suffering. Eat your loss for the sake of the fish.

mike22cha

Actually if you read the other thread i did not talk about getting two other tangs. I liked the purple tang, went to the fish store, and they said i should get two. I decided not to but on the way out to the car my dad said i should just go for it.
No offense but the situation is not that bad. They are just aggressive at feeding time. It is not a life and death situation. Im not joking or acting like an immature aquarist. I am serious when i say that they are only fighting at dinnertime, the yellow tang is not in that bad of shape, and they are not often aggressive. I realize that the sailfin tang is stressed. My father said that we should get a divider and get the sailfin in better shape and then try it again. I felt like getting the fishes better and then selling them. I have a 10gallon quarintine tank but it is without water and pump. I have an extra skimmer that can be put into the 10. Also we have an ice storm coming this weekend so getting rid of the sailfin asap is not a great idea.

cyclops

Chromis's are fine I have a yellow tail damsel and he can get a little mean, but I have him in a 29G with 2 firefish and they get along great. If you do get chromis's make sure you get them in 3's

grips

I personally wouldn't get a yellow tail. I had two and they became very aggresive and then they became very hard to get out of the tank. I do have two blue/green chromis which started out as three, but one got bullied and now I have two. I'm not sure what the thoery is behind buying them in three's, but it didn't apply in my situation. Chromis are OK. They aren't as aggressive as many of the other damsels.
As far as a divider goes, you could just buy some eggcrate and cut it to size. That would also allow for water circulation and probably be cheaper than something specifically made for this purpose from a LFS. HOWEVER, I believe that it would be best for the fish to remove two of the tangs immediately. It could put even more undo stress on all of the inhabitants of your tank if you start limiting swim space. This is just my opinion.
Good luck with your situation.

mike22cha

It would stress the fish, I agree. But I tried to catch the yellow once, bad long story that ended up with all the rocks tipped over and the fishes hiding in little caves of fallen rocks. Also would more fish in the tank help spred the bullying on everybody instead of just the sailfin?

grips

I don't think that adding more fish is going to help your situation. It is typically recommended that Tangs are the last fish that you add to a tank because they can be so aggresive (especially the yellow and purple tangs). They are fighting each other for territory. You could find that the Tangs will just bully and kill any new additions.
When I removed my two yellow tailed damsels, I had to take out every single piece of rock I had in my tank. I would just get some buckets and start removing rock. Removing two of the tangs is the only thing that will solve your problem. There is no other solution that will have positive benifits for your fish.
I know it's a pain because I've done it before, but when it's over you will feel 100 % better.......and so will the fish.

joshradio

Sorry you had to get the wrath of other people on here (like they've never made a mistake!) I would say to try and avoid the damsels... they are a pain in the backside (cheap but a pain!)... mine bullied my tang, small clown and chromis (15) and they slowly picked them off one by one, and they were either dead or in my sump filter... I would say try and take the sailfin back and see if the LFS can nurse it back (They get shoddy looking fish all the time, and still manage to sell them!) I would say look to anthias... gorgeous fish and they look like overgrown chromis. I have a blue line grouper I'd hand over... he'd take care of anything that's a problem in your tank!