My try at some homemade fish food (they went crazy)

jackri

Basically I had two packages of seafood mix (asian market), half a stick of cyclop-eeze, 4 sheets of nori, a small package of krill and a few good squirts of selcon. Ran it through the food processor until most all of the chunks were gone (I missed a couple but the shrimp or starfish can have those).
Turned off the sump pumps tonight and fed --- absolute feeding frenzy. Other than the left over cyclop-eeze I think the total was 5.50 for the seafood, some algae sheets (they were out of nori there) and a left over package of krill. So minus the cyclop-eeze maybe 7 bucks? This would run me about 50 bucks for mysis or brine bought this way at the lfs.

browniebuck

I have really been thinking about making my own food...I watched a video on youtube that someone posted on another home-made food thread. Once I get a few more fish in my 125, I will definitely make some food...I can't wait to try it (of all the things that excite me, now I am excited by making fish food....I am getting old!)

jackri

Funny... I thought the same thing as I actually enjoyed doing this tonight. Maybe it's just been that long since I've been single

t316

What all is in your seafood mix bags there? I see shrimp and what looks like squid, what else?
I do this about every 6 months. I go to the seafood section of the grocery store and get clams, shrimp, scallops, etc...and blend with garlic and some other goodies. Last quite a long time and the fish love it. Best of all, you don't have to worry about straining off the excess junk liquid that frozen mysis/brine/etc. have in them.

jackri

Squid, octupus, shrimp, crab, cuttlefish and mussels. I think that's everything. Was 2.75 per 14oz bag :)

t316

Daaaaang, that's cheap. I have never been into one of the asian markets around here, but I will. Is the stuff fresh, or what's the deal?

skate020

it was good untill you show the pic of the processed food, that stuff looks rong lol.
good idea tho, asian market is DEFFINATELY worth going to in this hobby,
post a vid of feeding time:)

jackri

Believe it or not most grocery stores in North Dakota don't carry fresh octupus and cuttlefish :p

t316

But you should be able to find shrimp, clams, scollops, oysters....yes?
IDK, maybe I have gotten to used to being near an ocean

jackri

Well we have "fresh" (as it can be) salmon and various fish fillets and shrimp, but I think the fresh frozen available isn't at it's peak freshness and I'd prefer to go frozen then to avoid bacteria or what ever else that happens to fish after a few days of sitting on ice due to the fact it's not cooked. If I had an actual fish market available I would agree -- but then I think I'd also be stuck making like 5lbs at a time to get everything.
It's really bad when the closest path to the ocean is ANY direction you pick.

J

jstdv8

i have a ton of king salmon I caught this year that all of it probably won't get eaten. would that be ok for processing? or is salmon bad in any way?

t316

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3201677
It's really bad when the closest path to the ocean is ANY direction you pick.

Originally Posted by Jstdv8

http:///forum/post/3201688
i have a ton of king salmon I caught this year that all of it probably won't get eaten. would that be ok for processing? or is salmon bad in any way?
No, salmon is not the best fish food if you can find something else. Salmon is more moist/oily. If you are going to use fish, go with a whiter/dryer type. But next time you take some out, pinch off a piece of the raw and see what your fish do.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3201728

No, salmon is not the best fish food if you can find something else. Salmon is more moist/oily. If you are going to use fish, go with a whiter/dryer type. But next time you take some out, pinch off a piece of the raw and see what your fish do.
Salmon is very good for your fish actually because of all the oils. Its just bad for your water as water quality can go bad pretty quick if fed in large quantities unless you have very good filtration.

small triggers

hey and you can use the dogfish and squid you catch when salmon fish...(atleast thats what i catch when i try to salmon fish hahahahha)

black cobra

If you search Limpits Reef on Youtube, he has an excellent video on ingredients and how to make homemade fish/reef food. Basically everything jackri did

keith gray

I live in too small of a town to visit Asian markets. The grocery stores here have raws shrimp, oysters in a jar, and raw bay scallops. Thats about it.
Since I have a blue hippo, maroon tang, and gold rim tang, I would like to add somethign green for them too.
Nobody here even knows what Nori sheets are !
What else can I add to the few items listed above that would be good for these fish ?