My Zooanthids Will not OPEN!!

pettyhoe

I bought some zooandthids, and they have opened and stayed up for a while since I bought them, but lately they never seem to want to open. Upon further inspection, I noticed little tiny nudibranch like creatures on the closed polyps. Are these the reason they are not opening, does anyone know what these are, and if they are detrimental, how do I remove them? Any information would be great, because my zoos are beautiful and I miss seeing them. They are starting to shrink and I feel they will die if I do not do something. I don't think I can get a picture considering how small they are.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by PettyHoe
I bought some zooandthids, and they have opened and stayed up for a while since I bought them, but lately they never seem to want to open. Upon further inspection, I noticed little tiny nudibranch like creatures on the closed polyps. Are these the reason they are not opening, does anyone know what these are, and if they are detrimental, how do I remove them? Any information would be great, because my zoos are beautiful and I miss seeing them. They are starting to shrink and I feel they will die if I do not do something. I don't think I can get a picture considering how small they are.
ahh. theyre bad. they're eating your zoas. i'm not an expert on zoas, but i think you might be able to do a fresh water dip, but i'm not sure if that removes any of the eggs they might have laid

N

nemo_66

yea, i had this problem also, you could do a freshwater dip, but if you dont want to risk it like me, you could just get a turkey baster and suck them out as you see them

bronco300

get some freshwater, samp temp and everything else...put your zoo colony in there for 5-7 minutes and it should take care of them...do others as well...and check for eggs in the colonies, if i recall fw dips do NOT take care of eggs.
here was my case and pics of some nudis i had:
Nudi pics etc

pettyhoe

what do eggs looks like? It is a white sack looking thing, cause if it is, then there is one. How do i remove that? just tweeze it off?

sprang

Be sure you get rid of that slug asap!! Funny I see these things from time to time for sale? And for future reference, they love all sorts of softies, so it's not half bad to quarentine your coral before putting them in the main tank imo. Good Luck! and btw your zoo's are quite hardy so no worries!