N E 1 know about scalpels?

speg

I'm tryin to buy a scalpel from this one site so I can use it for fragging..but they all come with different numbers and I assume it's somehow related the blade?
One says good for dentists and vets...is that what I want or do I need something else?

flower

An exacto knife is cheaper, and just as good. You can get it in any hobby section with many blades to change.

speg

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3287739

An exacto knife is cheaper, and just as good. You can get it in any hobby section with many blades to change.
I ordered off the BAY. Got 10 blades and a handle for 4.98 including shipping...not bad at all.

2quills

I was gonna recommend an exacto set too but Flower beat me to it. :)
The only real difference I think is the fact that scalpels are made out of a special grade of stainless appropriately called Sergical Stainless Steel. The exactos you may find will rust fairly easy but fortunately new blades are pretty cheap.

novahobbies

Surgical scalpels and Xacto blades are NOT the same - having worked with both I can promise you this. Scalpels are made from a finer grade steel that is much thinner than your standard Xacto blade. They make a cleaner cut, but they are really only meant to be used for one project then thrown away. Because they're thinner, they are more prone to breaking.
...when it comes to fragging, I don't think it matters. I'd use a scalpel for fragging softies if you had access, but if not a standard #11 is just fine.

speg

I've used the scalpel a few times to get the tissue of zoas away from the rocks--works great. Also have used them to cut the tissue away from some coral that were still connected--worked great.