Name this Anemone?

fish head

I bought a piece of live rock with these small Anemone. What are type are they? They have multiplied in the last 6 weeks but not moved from the rock they came on.

bdhough

That would be aptasia. Remove it from your tank immediatly and never shop at your lfs again :). I hope you didn't pay much.... At least they told you it was an anemone which is right but they obviously didn't tell you its like a weed and will kill your other corals once it spreads. We have it in our 240 display where I work and we can't kill it for the life of us.

S

sebae0

i dont believe that is all aptasia look at the pink tips on the other 2.

wrassecal

How big are they? Can't tell by the pic but are they very small green with pink tips? Maybe they are tulip anenomes. I can't really tell by the pic. I had one and now have 4. Here's a pic of mine if it will help you ID

bdhough

I don't see any pink tips..... But there is aptasia and regarless i would recommend ditching the rock.

fish head

They are twice the size of a quarter and have pink tips. That small clown fish in the pic is abount 1". I have seen aptasia and these look nothing like the aptasia I am familiar with. Unless aptasia come in many different forms.

wrassecal

I found this pic of aiptasia...looks a lot like your pic. Don't know about the pink tips though. I'd get rid of it just to be sure I guess. Other than these pics I haven't seen it that looks like that either. Yours are too big to be tulips and sorry to dis the quality of your pics

bdhough

Aptasia does come in several forms. Aptasia in general is a cnidarian i think. Its a type of Anemone just like mushrooms are a type of anemone. If it's multiplying then worry. It will eventually spread to other rocks and other coral areas. Just my prediction. All anemones sting corals and you'll probably run into problems down the line. A conventional Anemone is one large piece and while it may be big, won't multiply. Its up to you.