Nano Cube 24DX Lighting Mod

mikediii

I ordered a 24g nano dx and as some of you may know I sent it back because it was horribly crappy. Anyways, Im considering giving the vendor another shot. Was wondering If anyone has tried to do any lighting modifications, possibly one that implements MH to this type of tank. If so, how did you go about doing it? what type of lighting did you use? brand would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for any input.

viper_930

If you don't mind removing the top, you could use a JBJ clip on halide. They come in 70W or 150W double ended. You might also be able to use a Coralife or Sunpod.

K

kalied20

totally agree.....got the clamp on JBJ for my 24 gallon JBJ nano. It was bad design.....

pclown

Originally Posted by eyebedam
Go with the sunpod. The clamp on the jbj sucks.
I like the Sunpod andit has worked great! I know someone with the jbj who says the same thing.

L

lbaskball

PC CLown, go check out my thread for "my new 24gal DX" I use a 150watt metal halide on my JBJ 24gal nano.

K

kalied20

Originally Posted by jacksdad
Here is the hood from my modded 24...
14K 70W MH
72W PC daylight
36W actinic (bulb not shown)
Bob

Did you Mod that yourself. I want to put a MH under the lid of my 24 JBJ, but don't want to pay the big price for the ones I find on the internet.

pclown

Originally Posted by lbaskball
PC CLown, go check out my thread for "my new 24gal DX" I use a 150watt metal halide on my JBJ 24gal nano.
Very Nice Tank!! I love alot of the corals that you have. I was looking for a full shot view of your tank. I would like to see what it looks like. If I missed then I am sorry. So I take it that you have had great success with your JBJ lighting. I cant say anything good or bad since I dont have one except that I do like the look of it. I was just saying what someone else told me at the LFS here.

mikediii

Thanks for all the info folks. I like the setup in your pic Jacksdad. Is that the original hood modified? I actually have a 70W HQI ballast, was wondering if I might be able to find some kind of retrofit fixture like the one you have in your hood that I can put in the existing hood. Is that what you did?

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by PClown
Very Nice Tank!! I love alot of the corals that you have. I was looking for a full shot view of your tank. I would like to see what it looks like. If I missed then I am sorry. So I take it that you have had great success with your JBJ lighting. I cant say anything good or bad since I dont have one except that I do like the look of it. I was just saying what someone else told me at the LFS here.

I woudlnt say I have great success with JBJ lighting..i actually did a mod on my tank lighting like I told you. I put in a 150watt metal halide on top of the hood and kept only 1 36watt 50/50 compact flourescent light bulb that came with the JBJ. So it is basically powered by a metal halide light. :)
I dont know if you got to check out page 1 from that thread, if you did..u will see a full tank shot (I know its kinda old but hey) and you can see the metal halide sitting on top of the canopy.
Thanks for the compliments.

jacksdad

Originally Posted by mikediii
Thanks for all the info folks. I like the setup in your pic Jacksdad. Is that the original hood modified? I actually have a 70W HQI ballast, was wondering if I might be able to find some kind of retrofit fixture like the one you have in your hood that I can put in the existing hood. Is that what you did?

Yes it is an original hood that was modified. The MH is from fishDr. We added 2 80MM fans above the MH and everything is on seperate timers. Also the fans, halide and ICA are on switches. I have pictures of the process that I can e-mail you, they are in Microsoft Word format and I don't know how to post them here.
Amazingly enough the tank temps are not that high. I haven't run this setup through a summer yet, but it has been in the high 80's here and the temps are stable at 81 to 82 degrees without the ICA. The ambiant temp at the tank is 77-78 degrees.
Photo period:
12:00 actinics on
1:00 daylight on
1:30 MH on
11:00 MH off
11:30 daylight off
12:00 actinics off
Bob

K

kalied20

would love to see the MOD process. I got a 24 gallon JBJ NANO DX. My email is: *Email Removed*
I appreciate you sending them.
I can look at the formating of the documents and see if I can get the process posted here. I know there are many nano tuners out there that would love the information.

jacksdad

Originally Posted by kalied20
would love to see the MOD process. I got a 24 gallon JBJ NANO DX. My email is: *Email Removed*.
I appreciate you sending them.
I can look at the formating of the documents and see if I can get the process posted here. I know there are many nano tuners out there that would love the information.
Email sent.
I need to give credit to a fellow reefer who did this mod for me, Shao-lin-Nano on another forum
He does some unbelievable stuff!!

If you can format the pictures, by all means feel free to post them here.
Bob

jacksdad

I would like to see the mod process as well if you could email it to me. Thanks

I would, but you are setup not allow e-mails and your post with your email was removed. Send me an email via this site and I will respond.
Bob
Well it won't allow me to receive e-mails either????

mikediii

Sorry about that. I just edited my profile to allow users to send email. I think you should be able to now if you dont mind trying again.

jacksdad

Sorry about that. I just edited my profile to allow users to send email. I think you should be able to now if you dont mind trying again.

Sorry, but there seems to be something wrong with the site. I cannot send emails to anybody, including myself.
Bob