Nano cube? Nah...

pkeafer

Well,
I went to the LFS today and took a look at the Nano Cube. Apparently these things are flying off the shelf, but they do look a little small for me. I guess a small all-in-one package is really attractive to most people.
Couldn't I get better bang for the buck though if I bought a traditional 15G and a 65w aqualight? I can pick up a 15G for $25 and the light strip for $55.
Opinions?

dory36

Does your lfs have the 24g nano cube? Ours just got them in and they look pretty cool. Sure you can go out on your own and buy things individually (don't forget you need filtration, too), but I think most people like the fact that it's a complete package and don't need to shop around for this and that.

thedude

yeah the 24g looks cool..my LFS has a neat stand that goes w/ it..but I think their trying to sell it for like $350 w/ stand

Anywho..im all for the complete nano setup....I probably wont ever buy one myself, but they get people into this hobby that wouldnt have messed with all the intimidating details of SW reefkeeping. Sooner or later they will probably upgrade... Its like a gateway drug...for fish owners.
The more money our LFS's make the more our hobby grows, the more development will be put into it and technology will advance creating better reefs and more diverse SW tanks
It all starts w/ the nano....what can I say, im a dreamer.
Oh, yeah you could get a better bang for the buck doing it yourself, plus youll have more options and youll learn more too.

thedude

also...im no expert on the JBJ nano cube, but I think these come with a 24 or 50 watt light setup, which is not enough for a lot of corals. Most people upgrade to 100 watts, so you may as well save the money and get this at the start (if you choose to do it yourself).

nm reef

If I were to take the plunge and develop a nano I'd prefer to do it myself. I've seen lots of package deals but I could probably piece a sweet one together if I wanted to.:thinking:

tru conch

they arent bad to start with. i picked up a nano cube as an afterthought to my 180. i just wanted something small and compact for my den. personally ive had very few problems with it. the two main problems are heat issues (i have to keep the front lid open) and surface skimming is nonexisistent. and yeah the lights are a little on the low side for almost all corals. other than that though it has been a low maintence tank for me.
but if you buy and build your own tank you will get a greater sense of accomplishment. plus you learn more along the way and you have more options as well. hth.

K

krustytheclownfish

Unless you like the look of the nano cube, I'd say piece it together yourself. A lot of people who buy the cube decide to modify it, especially the lights, and spend more money doing that.
Cheaper example:
10g tank - ~$10
98w pc light - $88(cheapest I've seen the Coralife quad)
power head(or 2) - ~$15
Now add lr and ls and you're set(and a heater for those of us that live in Siberia). You'll have plenty of light for softies and some sps corals.
John

thedude

You'll have plenty of light for softies and some sps corals
9.8 watts per gallon sounds like plenty of light for just about anything...am I missing something? Just how much light do you need for SPS?

laddy

It's not so much watts per gallon, but light intensity (measured in lux, I believe) that is the main concern for higher demanding corals.......but someone could correct me if I'm off base here.

tru conch

laddy your are correct. its more about the intensity,but watts per gal does matter as well.
there are some sps that you *might* be able to keep, mainly monitis and some of the closed brains. you wont get as much growth though under pcs compared to mh. but with the 96 watts of pc you can keep pretty much anything else besides the sps. hth.

thedude

aha, guess im buying an MH for my next light setup...anyone want to trade their MH for a 1000watt hydro HPS light? :D