Nano Fuge

reefnut

I'm going to hook a 10g fuge into the 6g nano this weekend if all goes well and was wondering if anyone had any pointers. The plan is to drill 2- 1/2" holes in the back tword the top for a supply and return. I'm planning to just use a 90deg elbow turned up as the overflow. Any suggestions?

overanalyzer

have you drilled acrylic before?? If not I'd get a piece and practice on it before you do your tank ... drip water and do a test drill!

searcher

Originally posted by ReefNut
Thanks for the tip. I have never drilled acrylic. Does it splinter off easy?

Yes, and if it gets too hot it burns and makes a terrible smell.

bentbutnotbroke

The best way I have found to drill acrylic, is to reverse the holesaw just before it completes the hole. Also take time not to overheat it, you may distort the acrylic around the hole.
Good Luck!

lesleybird

Originally posted by ReefNut
I'm going to hook a 10g fuge into the 6g nano this weekend if all goes well and was wondering if anyone had any pointers. The plan is to drill 2- 1/2" holes in the back tword the top for a supply and return. I'm planning to just use a 90deg elbow turned up as the overflow. Any suggestions?

Ha Ha Ha.....you made me laugh! A fuge that is over fifty percent larger than the display. Interesting. Lesley

maxweljames

I work the acrylic windows from time to time. Rule one, don't use a normal metal or wood bit. It will crack the plastic in no time. For that big of hole I would use a fine toothed holesaw at a very low speed to avoid heat build up. I also use a soldering gun with a cutting tip sometimes. If you do that make sure you are in a vented area. Searcher is totally correct it makes a bad smell and nice black or blue smoke that probably isn't good for the ol' lungs. Well, there is my 2 cents, good luck.

reefnut

Lesleybird, think it will work:). A 10g can be picked up really cheap and will fit in tight spots so I'm thinking it will work good.
Max, thanks for the tips. I will see if the local hardware store has a fine toothed holesaw. The holes will only be a 1/2". Will a holesaw still be the way to go?
Thanks for you help.

maxweljames

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were drilling a hole that was 2 1/2 inches. Just to clarify you are doing 2 holes 1/2 inch each. Brain wasn't working at lunch when I read it first. In that case go find what's called a unibit, or also called a stepped bit. It starts small and then has steps up to bigger size. There is a single channel in it instead of being twisted with two channels like a regular bit. It's the only way to go drilling small holes in acrylic. Again my apologies for not understanding.

reefnut

:D No worries. I figured I wasn't clear. Yes I am drilling 2 holes 1/2" dia. I have a couple old unibits but I'll get a new sharp one for this. Now I just need the time and motivation lol.