Nano Lighting

bones

Looking to setup a 5 gallon Nano with a 13watt PC Retrofit kit from A H supply using a 10000k/Dark Blue Actinic combo bulb. Would this be adequate for a FOWLR tank? are there any low light mushrooms or polyps that would be ok with that light?

saltyrich

I think it would work great for a FOWLR tank. You could probably add some mushrooms. Yellow polyps might do good. I'm sure there are other polyps that would work also. Just research them because some polyps need stronger lighting.

benj420

bones, i don't know how much the retrofit kit you are getting costs, but I got a 13w PC from Homedepot for $19.90, here is a pic of me doing a trial fit into my 5.5 gallon nano's hood with two of them. I'm either going to add a third or replace with dual 32's and move them to a 2.5gallon.

they aren't waterproof, but resistant at least. I'll try to get you some more info if interested.

bones

this is the kit i am looking at...
1 x 13watt Deluxe Bright Kit
A great kit for lighting very small aquariums, or for adding a night viewing light or a moon light to larger tanks. Designed for installation in a wood canopy or custom wood enclosure, the kit includes a MIRO 4 reflector specifically designed for a 13w compact; an 8 ft. power cord with an in-line switch; a 13 watt thermally protected magnetic ballast; a GX23 socket; wirenuts, mounting screws, and enough hookup wire to allow you to install the socket two feet away from the ballast; plus installation instructions. This kit requires a 13w compact bulb of your choice (not included). A 13w red bulb can be used with this kit for a great night viewing light. A 13w blue bulb can be used with this kit for a moon light on larger tanks.
Price: $18.99

jonthefb

hey bones, can you email me the site address you are talking about? i bougght a bunch of light fixtures that run 13w pc's at a clearance sale from home depot that i plan on adding to my 20 gallon tank that currently has 130 watts of pc's. i am very interested in this site, especially the reflectors and bulbs. my email address is jonthan.garnett@attbi.com
thanks in advance
jon

bones

Emailed you that site.
The fish i want for this tank are a blue yellowtailed damesl and a percula clown, is this to much?