Nano Substrate Question?

1968oldsma

Is this acceptable for a 5g invert tank? My brother trying to help me out with my nano tank decided to put this blue rock substrate he had left over from his FW tank. I kinda got irked went and bought proper sand substrate like planned, no biggie was gonna take care of it sunday after my tourny... well... he decided to take the steps and add the sand in for me......over the blue rocks...
My question is, can i leave it like this? It's only going to be an invert tank maybe a frag or two in the distant future nothing serious or should I go ahead and start sifting the sand to get the damn blue rocks out?

1968oldsma

CRAAAP.... alright I should be trying to take the lazy way out in hind sight lol... looks like it's cleaning time.. Thanks for the fast response!

btldreef

Yeah :-/
I mean, it might work, but inverts don't like nitrates and those rocks are probably going to become a little nitrate factory and without knowing exactly what those rocks and the paint/coloring on them is made of, I wouldn't chance it.

snakeblitz33

+1 I wouldn't mess with that, personally.
a 5g tank might benefit from having a 4" deep sand bed, however. Just wanted to add that in there.

1968oldsma

All set cleaned it all up good to go, I've got a 4 and a half inch's worth of substrate right now so i'm happy, it's clean.