nano suface skimmer?

sinaloa213

has anyone ever seen this product i saw it at drfoster and smith
i want to buy it but dont know if its worth buying.
i looks nice and it says it easily connects to a canister filter which i have
any help will be appreciated
thnx

tx reef

I had one on my 55 (the larger model) and it sucked. The thing was nearly impossible to adjust and after a couple of weeks the clear plastic part got stuck in the main body. Nice idea, but piece of crap in my opinion. I wish they made a better one because for the short time it did work, it did a hell of a good job.

gsd

I use them on all my smaller tanks and IMHO they work just fine. They do require carefull balanceing between bottom intake and top skim portion, and the tank top off water needs to be maintained proeprly. I did find that its a good idea to put a pair of O rings aorund the stem of the floating skimmer portion and have it adjust so it can not usck down the floating portion on water level fluctuations. Usually once the floating portion starts to bounce uo and down it winds up sinking, and with snug fitting orings placed so the float can only go perhaps 1/4" more and then get stopped by Orings has solved any problems these units ever had. Once setup and adjusted they work very well.

bojik

Two companies make a version of them that i know of. Hagen and I forget... both on Dr F&S. I'd get the hagen, i've had good luck with that brand of componets. I've some what looked at that thing as well as a pree skimer for an HOT type skimmer unit.

gsd

The only difference
rtween the Eheim and rthe Hagen is the Hagen is made to work directly on a Aqua clear HOB filter, and includes an adapter to fit the 1" water inlet tubes on the Aqua clear HOB, or the smaller 1/2 or 5/8" diam inlet tubes on the Ac20 mini filter. The Eheim unit does not contain the adapter and is geared mainly for one size. Thats the only difference between the two. I really do not know the exact size of the tube but its whatever the Aq and Eheims are and best thhat I can tell are like 1" and 1/2 or 5/8" tubes. No mods are needed to make it work as long as it will fit your pickup tube. That is not a real problem anyhow with a bit of ingenuity they can be adapted. IMHO they are a much valued add on to any sized tank as they do a super job of keeping surface film removed, and frankly for the cost, there is not too much that one can buy for a aquarium in that price range that acutsally does work and works quite well. I wold recomend adding the two orings or a wrap of sa heavy duty rubber band around the clear plastic floating portion though to restrict how far it can drop down into the black portion. A drop of 1/2" or so is more than sufficient, so when the tank is fully topped off, and float portion is floating, place rubber band or orings on float portion 1/4" or so above the black piece. Stick to sides of glass with suction cups and is only other install. Its straight forward and works well like I stated previously. I have substituted ridgid plastic tube inplace of the flex tube and have used 5/8" diam pond tube which is black and not corrugated, and have the skimmer located in the opposite corners in some of the aquariums, so yu can easily extend that flexible piece of black tube to relocate the inlet tube anywhere you desire.
Flow is adjusted between the upper portion and the lower portion so the upper remains sucked slightly down so water inflows between the teeth. The plastic rod that extends upwards out the center of the clear piece is turned to adjust the flow, so any additional adjustments can be made without having toget your hand in the tank.

unleashed

i have this on 2 of my tanks my eel tank (aquaclear filters) and my 50 gal qt i dont have a problem with any film on the top of the water.i think its well worth the ew bucks they charge if not using overflows.as for adding to a canister filter i dont know how well that would work i use with hang on filters
Originally Posted by SiNaLOa213
has anyone ever seen this product i saw it at drfoster and smith
i want to buy it but dont know if its worth buying.
i looks nice and it says it easily connects to a canister filter which i have
any help will be appreciated
thnx

gsd

Originally Posted by SiNaLOa213
thats great
didnt really undersatnd the part of puting rubber band around the clear part
The rubber band acts as a stop to keep the clear piece from getting pulled down under the water and staying there, would allow fish or snails etc to be able to crawl into the skimmer piece.
If yu have the eheim get the eheim if yu have an Aqua clear get the aqua clear (Hagen) as it has an adapter, any other filter can always be adapted no matter whata kind or brand it is as long as filter has an water inlet tube. No mods are needed of any kind other than the rubber band an dthats not really needed, but it prevents the clear piece from getting pulled under and staying there.

gsd

I would imagine the 2 docs place has em both., or that big guys place online I now has em both...