Nanos and skimmers

leigh

Hey all,
So my office nano has been up and running for over a month now. Aside from a bit of a cyano spurt (that's getting better every day) the tank is looking great. It's just a 3 gal eclipse system with 3-4 lbs of live rock, a cc bed, 2 snails, and 2 peppermint shrimp (under 13 watts of light--it was the lighting upgrade that sparked the cyano problem). Additionally I have caulerpa and some mushrooms growing in there. I'm running the built in eclipse filtration for both filtration and circulation, but I'm wondering if I should be considering a skimmer? And if so what kind? I do not plan to add anything else to the tank except possibly another snail or two and more mushrooms. I do not intend ever to put fish in this tank. Is a skimmer necessary? Any input is as always greatly appreciated!
-leigh

D

daniel411

I really don't know of any skimmers designed for such small tanks. Without any fish I doubt you'd need to worry about the bio-load that much though. So when are you going to post a pic of your nano now that its all up and running!

aggie05

you don't need a skimmer and never will. With just the critters and the shrooms you will be fine. The macro algae is also very helpful so keep that in there. Between the macro, the live rock and sand, you will have plenty of filtration. I have a 2.5 gallon with a brain and some shrooms and only a small medialess aquaclear HOB for circulation and it is fine. I dont even do water changes every week. I can go for 2-3 weeks with no problems.

overanalyzer

the only thing you might want to do is get a mini-jet powerhead for added water movement - otherwise you should be fine.

leigh

overanalyzer--really, you think a powerhead to add to the filter? (that could make sense, i don't think the circulation is exactly stellar now.) thanks for the tips folks, and i will get a pic! i have no digital camera so i'm not as speedy, but i'll take some the good ol fashioned way :D

overanalyzer

set the in-flow to the minimum setting and then use it to add a bit of counter current to your HOB filter ... did this in my 5 and it got rid of all my cyano issues due to flow!