Naso Tang, Cloudy eye

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Have you noticed any aggression? How long have you had the fish?
Any problems lately with water quality?
Try doing a large water change and soaking the fish food in garlic. If this does not do the trick, you may need to treat with antibiotics. Do you have a QT?

plum70rt

This is a new fish, about 3 days in the tank, has not eaten yet that Ive seen, I have no Qt , but can set one up if I have to, water is good, very mellow fish, gets along with all my others,

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would still follow step one with the water change. How is he looking and behaving otherwise? Is the eye really cast over with white, or just translucent?

plum70rt

just slightly translucent, swims slowly, does not eat,
should I QT him? he is a large Lyretail Blonde Naso, paid 80 bucks , my wife bought him as a gift , I really want to keep him, Im worried:(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, go ahead and QT him...but you will have an uncycled QT. Read the FAQ section above for QT info if you need advise on that.
Is he swiming and acting normal, except for the not eating?
Once you have him in QT, go ahead and do hyposalinity on him. Get Maracyn Two for SW fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Get the QT up, but if he seems better, wait til tomorrow to move him.
Did you do the water change?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He may recoup on his own if its mild. Cloudy eye can also be a prelude to ich [if you didn't QT to begin with]. I'm concerned about the no eating. What are you offering to eat? Does he seem at all interested?
Have you tried spot feeding him with a turkey baster?

plum70rt

Seaweed select, and mysis shrimp, thera A pellets, seems interested but dont bite, I seen him eat in store,
Dont hate me but I dont QT, never had a problem before,
never had Ick in my tank yet, I will always QT from now on,

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What did the LFS feed him? Give them a call and see. Sometimes fish just want their old food. Try enticing the fish with target feeding with a turkey baster.

plum70rt

LFS fed pellets, I tried no eating,:(
Lays on bottom motionless, what to do ? should I put him in QT ?, what do I add to water?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, QT! Didn't hear from you since day before yeturday, so I thought the problem may have improved.
QT and hypo. Then add Maracyn Two for SW fish, double dose, for 5 days. Be sure to do a water change just before each redose. Don't use carbon filtration after putting the antibiotic in. However, if you have cabon filtration, along with the water change before each dose, go ahead run a carbon filter for a couple of hrs, then redose.
Watch your readings, since you'll have an uncycled QT.

plum70rt

things looked better, then worse:(
ok QT is set up , just waiting till temp goes up,
2 quick Qs,
how fast can I lower the SG?
and whats the best temp to keep it at?
I set up a 30 gallon long,
I usally keep my reef 80,81?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep the QT at the same temp as the display. 48 hrs to get the water into hypo is the best. What are you using to measure salinity/sg?

plum70rt

im using a hydrometer, and a deep six, seem to be pretty close,
My LFS has a refractor I will check it with them, should I add the meds now?or wait till 1009?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, add the meds, but when you add you will have to stall on the hypo.
Here’s the way I see it. You need to get moving on the antibiotic because the symptoms seem to indicate bacterial infection. I am suggesting hypo not so much for ich, but to reduce stress. However, at this point hypo is secondary to the bacterial problem that seems to be going on.
Thus, to gain the full effect of the antibiotic you can not dilute the treatment water by trying to achieve hypo. Dose and then the next day, 2-3 hrs prior to redosing, you can perform some more water changes to move toward the hyposaline conditions of the water. At the same time, if you have carbon filtration, use it to clean up your tank [since it is uncycled]. Do this during a 2-3 hour window. When done, then redose with the antibiotic.
Keep the lights off in the QT [if you have aquarium lights, but don’t keep the sick fish in complete darkness during “waking hours”]. Room lights are good. Antibiotic potency is diminished by UV from lights. However, when you begin the hypo process, you can turn on the lights. This would be a good time to try and offer the fish food as well as for you view the fish’s progress. Again, lights on only towards the end of the 24-hr dose [when you are going to do maintenance/hypo on the tank.
Anyway, that is what I would do, and do do with sick fish that need to be hypoed but also need antibiotics.

plum70rt

Thank you very much, A tough time for this guy,
how long can he go without eating before it becomes a big problem?