naso tang has ich

kalisad

Well, I just discovered this am that my naso tang has some white spots on him (he even has them on his lips!) He has been eating regularly. I am going to pull him out of my main tank and put him in the Q tank. The question is the Q tank is only 10 gallons and this is a medium sized tang. I have treated the Q tank with a small amount of copper because I have had luck with this in the past. How long should I leave the tang in the Q tank? I know this is going to be very stressful for him. :(

john f

Do you still have other fish in the display tank?
If so treating the Naso will be pointless.
If not you need to leave him in the treatment tank for at least 30 days for the Ich to cycle out of the display tank.
Also, if you are using copper make sure you are using therapeutic levels for treatment.
Treatment should take 3 weeks but as I said it takes about 4 weeks at 80 degrees for the Ich to be gone from the main tank.
If you have other fish in the main tank they could harbor the Ich even if they show no symptoms. This is why all fish MUST be treated in order to completely cure the cypto (Ich) outbreak.
Also, a 10 gallon will not work for long with a medium/large naso tang.
I would get at least a 30 gallon (55 would be better)
John