Naso Tang

lmforbis

I was at my local ***** on Friday. They had an unhappy small Naso tang in one of their small tanks. They are going to re do their aquatic dept and all fish were half off so I bought him even though he didn't look great.
I brought him home, slowly drip acclimated him to the hypo salinity in my QT tank and put him in QT with my Powder brown. I had to restart the hypo countdown on the Powder Brown last week because the ich re appeared so what is one more week. Turns out you don't get an accurate reading on the refractometer if you tip it up to look at a ceiling light so specific gravity was a bit too high.
The Naso seems to be doing ok. He is out swimming around (at ***** he was hiding in a corner). He seems to be eating well. He grazes off the clip with no problem and there has been no agression with the powder brown. I divided the tank with a piece of egg crate for the first day so they can see each other but not hurt each other. Removed it yesterday and no problems between the two fish.
He has a lot of white stress spots on his body which are not concerning to me and are disappearing as he adjusts to the bigger tank. On the dorsal and anal fins he has a white growth attached to the edge. They were there when I got him. They are visible in this pic. My thought is lymphocytosis, it doesn't look like ich at all. What do you think?
Is there any thing I should be doing? I feed a variety of frozen food soaked in Selcon and provide dried algae to graze on. He is currently in hypo salinity just in case he has been exposed to ich (from ***** I always assume they have been).
IMG_2112.JPG

pegasus

It does appear to be similar to lymphocystis. The only way to know for sure is a microscopic analysis. If it is indeed lymphocystis, there is no known cure. At best, you can keep the fish healthy, as it's not a life-threatening disease. It appears to be host-specific, so the main concern is it infecting to your other tang. You could try trimming off a little of the fin area around the two spots, but there's no guarantee that it will get rid of it. You'd also have to be concerned about secondary infection, but that can usually be controlled with meds...

jay0705

***** are complete idiots. They did redo mine. Then got a 7"naso in a 10gal tank. Redone or not none of there tanks are big enough for those fish. I like you bought it. The stress marks do go away. I hate buying anything from there bc it just promotes sales

lmforbis

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured just wanted to make sure others agreed with my interpretation and to make sure I was treating it properly. I think I am going to observe him for a couple weeks and make sure he is well fed before I take any drastic measures. I'm sure the food fed at ***** is not the best and I know they have ich in their tanks so I want to make sure that any potential issues from that are dealt with first.

lmforbis

***** are complete idiots. They did redo mine. Then got a 7"naso in a 10gal tank. Redone or not none of there tanks are big enough for those fish. I like you bought it. The stress marks do go away. I hate buying anything from there bc it just promotes sales
Fortunate for this one he is only a couple inches and was in a 20 gallon long. Still not enough room. He seems much more comfortable in my 40b QT. For $30 it was more likely someone with little knowledge and a small SW tank would buy him, I couldn't just leave him. I rarely buy fish there, only twice before but both of those fish are alive and doing great. Maybe it is only the strong ones that last for more than a day or two there.
I agree with you on their knowledge of salt water. It seems like they have started getting the bigger more expensive fish since they bought Fosters and Smith. May be just a coincidence.

jay0705

Yea I agree. I thought it may improve w there buying of them, not so much. I even tried to call cooperate once about there hippos. The guy there said they we're captive raised but I found that hard to believe. Couldn't get threw. As far as the naso they are great fish, but need big tanks when full grown.

lmforbis

Yeah. Hes was in a large plastic container and drip acclimated for about 12 hours. The water he was in from ***** was already low at 1.018. I wouldn't have done it if the water was normal salinity.

lmforbis

Here is a pic from day 3 in hypo QT. He seems to be adapting well. The stress spots are about half of what they originally were. He's starting to extend his fins a bit. If nothing else pops up in 18 days I'll start slowly increasing the salinity by topping off with normal salt water.
IMG_2156.JPG

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Nice castle....can the fish go in there? What size tank do you have?

lmforbis

Yep the fish prefer the castle to the PVC pipes the openings are big enough for them to swim through easily. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder.
Display is 125

lmforbis

Thank you. It took a long time to get him there. He's been in QT for 6 weeks. 3 with copper that didn't work now 3 weeks of hypo. Been clear of ich for a week now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. It took a long time to get him there. He's been in QT for 6 weeks. 3 with copper that didn't work now 3 weeks of hypo. Been clear of ich for a week now.
I would suggest a full mo of hypo then since the ich has been exposed to copper there may be some resistance to treatment. That would be a mo since no ich spotted.

lmforbis

We are 9 days into QT on the Naso and the lymphocytosis is almost gone. Just one spot on his anal fin that is barely attached. It kind of glows in the blue light. Looking forward to being able to put him and his tank mate into my DT in a few weeks.
IMG_2179.JPG

jay0705

Very good. There a great fish, I can't believe how big mine has gotten. They grow like weeds lol

lmforbis

He has gotten fat in the 10 days I've had him. Between him and the powder brown they eat a whole sheet of algae every day. Then assorted frozen foods on top of that. They are both only 2.5 inches.