Nassarius Snail

wade163

hey guys...I got a nassarious snail back in Feb. I havent seen it much, and it was to the point where I thought it died. Well about 2 weeks ago, it came out, and it scared me...it was huge (larger than what it was when I put it in there). How big do these things get, and what do they really eat? I was blown away by this...thanks!

prime311

They can to get about quarter sized. They're scavengers eating detritus and leftover food and such.

wade163

UMM HUMM...wel mine is HUGE...looks like a silver dollar...and its antenna...MAN....lol...but ok!!!...I guess I aint doing too much wrong

metweezer

He's huge because you only have one. Must be lots for him to eat. I know reefers who get one per gallon

deltablack22

These guys love meaty foods and dont get too big. They stay buried in the sand until they "smell" food in the water and will come up to eat.

natclanwy

Tizzo brings up an interesting point definetly make sure you have a positive ID, post a pic if you want and someone can ID it for you. I can think of at least one whelk that looks similar to a nassarius snail and I'm sure there are others.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2632327
r u referring to the fancy nass snail? if so, they r big.
I have both types they call the bigger ones super Tonga nassarius snails here but they are nowhere near half dollar size. The super Tonga shells are about an 1.25" or so long and 5/8" in diameter. and the regular are about a 1/2" to 3/4" long and 3/8" in diameter.

nano reefer

ive never heard of nor seen one that bg. Maybe a whelk or conch? nass snails are very common and having one wont do much cleanup wise.
POST #500!!!