Nassarius Snails vs. Sea Hare

snaredrum

Well heres a new one for me. I had a start of hair algea starting so I decided to get a Sea Hare for a couple of days to fix the problem. I put the Sea Hare in and he was moving around just fine until he trolled over a Nassarius snail. The snail came out of the sand and started to suck on the side of the Hare. You know whats next...purple ink. I removed the Sea Hare and back to the LFS to fix the problem. So just a warning if you try this.

ninjamini

Here is a old post on this topic:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/255585/do-you-have-hair-algae
Do you have hair algae?

If you have a hair algae problem then read my cure all. I just recently took a tank off someone's hands, a very experienced reefer too, who had a hair algae problem that they could not fix. But the fix is so easy when you understand it. This is the instructions for a established tank. If your tank is under 3 months old read below* first.
Hair algae wont grow if you don't feed it.
1. Use Ro/DI water ONLY. If your not doing this then you are making a fatal mistake.
2. Pick off the big clumps of hair. Pull the rocks out you can and pull pull pull. Dip them back in the water to get the algae to hang down. Turn off the flow for the rocks you cant remove while you pick it off. By picking off the big clumps you remove the nitrates and phosphates from the water.
3. Know why it grows. It consumes nitrates, phosphates and light. Export the nitrates and phosphates with water changes and some cheto. Rember if you test says that you have 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates that does not mean you don't have them. It just means that they are consumed. If you have algae growing then you have nitrates and phosphates. Yea there in there.
4. Cut back on feeding. Where do you thing those nitrates and phosphates come from. If you have any really piggy fish then you may want to move them to QT.
5. Turn down the photo period by shutting the lights off and only turn them on for 6 hours a day. Most corals can handle this for a month. Just think of it as the rainy season.
6. Get a emerald and some mexican snails. Yea the big ones. They will both eat the short stuff.
7. Time. Give it 3-4 weeks then start to turn the lights to 7, 8...more hours till your back to a normal amount of time.
Done. Now I have my nano cube filled with sand, rocks, zoos and fish because I was able to follow this plan and he was not. Which is weird since he has an awesome sps tank.
*If your tank is new that is less than 3 months old then the question is not how to get rid of them but understanding that this is only part of the natural cycle of a new tank. If this happened just as your ammonia and nitrites test at 0 then its going to grow. Its the same reason because there is alot of nitrate and phosphate in the water. This would be the time to do your first water change and then add your clean up crew. They will take care of the algae along with water changes.
Remember don.t feed your nuisance algae and it wont grow.
Good Luck.

cowfishrule

100% correct on the post above.
you eliminate the source, and you will eliminate the problem.
cut way back on feeding, and lighting. your corals will survive.
rodi water only.
and those big mexican turbo's really do a number on hair algae.
forget the sea hare.
as for pulling out the clumps, im skeptical about that. something leads me to believe that you really shouldnt because this may leak consumed 'phates and 'trates, but i may just be overly paranoid. i didnt pull clumps, and my hair algae went away completely in about 6 weeks.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
as for pulling out the clumps, im skeptical about that. something leads me to believe that you really shouldnt because this may leak consumed 'phates and 'trates, but i may just be overly paranoid. i didnt pull clumps, and my hair algae went away completely in about 6 weeks.
Removing it by hand is the proper thing to do. Otherwise it will break down and leech nasty things back into your water.

payton 350

also if money is no object or if able to make your own rock...changing rock and sand is a good idea as these are phosphate absorbers and can only handle so much...once they reach their limit phosphate will leak back into the tank......so reading may be 0 but it is still present

exotich

So does anyone have a picture of hair algea.
i am new to this and not sure what it looks like
thanks

1journeyman

Welcome to the boards exoticH.
Use the search feature and look up hair algae for some pics.
Basically it's stringy green algae that grows like a weed under bad conditions in your tank.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Removing it by hand is the proper thing to do. Otherwise it will break down and leech nasty things back into your water.

Originally Posted by Payton 350

also if money is no object or if able to make your own rock...changing rock and sand is a good idea as these are phosphate absorbers and can only handle so much...once they reach their limit phosphate will leak back into the tank......so reading may be 0 but it is still present
Naw. Live rock is a resource. One day we may not be able to take it. Get used to exporting phosphates and nitrates. Phosban is a great tool for phosphate issues. Cheato for nitrate and phosphate issues.

payton 350

yeah i know i should have said making you're own live rock.....and it's much much cheaper and make the shapes you want