Native tanks

gulf diver

Hey everyone, I am new to this site, but not new to marine aquariums. When I lived in Coral Springs, FL (near Fort Lauderdale), I had a 26gal. native reef tank. I collected everything myself. I used natural Atlantic seawater from right off the beach (collected it in gal. milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles, about 40 yards offshore while snorkeling). I also used live sand from the surf zone, and pieces of live rock that were moist that washed up on the beach after storms. I also collected my own fish. We were fortunate to have a 3 lines of live reef right off the beach at Lauderdale By The Sea. The first line was about 1.5ft high off the bottom, about 75 yards off the beach in about 7-8ft. of water. It was just a narrow line of natural rock covered with algae and corraline algae. The second line was about 2.5-3ft. high, about 150 yards offshore in about 12ft. of water and was also covered with more coralline algae and sponges and some small star and brain coral. The third line was an actual fully developed coral reef with coral heads up to 4-5ft. high and was about 200 yards offshore in 16ft. of water. There were large star and brain coral heads, large purple seafans, some sea whips, and sponges. Anyway, I collected my own fish from shore from Boca Raton to the Middle Keys, with good success with an all natural native tank. For filtration, I had only a Marineland Biowheel external power filter, and 1 airstone in the back corner of the tank to help move the water some more in the corner. I had a coral flourescent lamp, and I changed about 2-3 gals. of water out each week.
What I am interested in is doing the same thing on the south Texas coast, but this time with a larger tank (40 or 75gal) and this time I want to have either a baby French, Blue, or Queen angel, and either a Spotfin or Foureyed butterflyfish, along with the a few damsels, and maybe a native tang and blenny, and of course local live rock off the jetties and some local inverts like peppermint shrimp, hermits, and a couple of sea urchins. I have only caught one butterfly in my life (an it wasn't even in Florida). It was a baby Spotfin about 1.5inches long at the south jetty at Port Aransas one summer. It took my about an hour or more to wear him down to the point I could catch him with a10inch green aquarium net. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can catch a baby angel and another baby butterfly, then please let me know. Do they enter fish traps, the metal bait traps that they sell at Academy and tackle shops? What is a good bait to use for them? You can reach me at jack_lrkn@yahoo.com
Thanks,
John

E

eric b 125

our oceans reefs are in enough trouble as it is. i wouldnt be surprized if what you were doing was illegal. that's cool that you live near reefs, but in my opinion, they are best left where they are. there are so many organizations working tirelessly to help natural reefs thrive. i'd look around to find a good local fish store. that being said...WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

gulf diver

HGey Eric B,
What I was doing is good conservation, because, 1. I was the one doing the collecting, and I did it without any tranquilizers using only aquarium hand nets, 2. I took only very few fish (it was only a 26gal. tank), 3. I was very cautious not to break or damage any coral or sponges, and 4. it was a native tank with native tropicals, caught naturally and kept in a natural seawater environment- they were not exotic tropicals from the South Pacific or Indian Ocean collected with tranquilizers and collected in an indiscriminant manner. By the way, I am a former marine biology major who has done extensive research/observation of coral reefs, and know quite well how fragile they are and how much they need to be protected! If more hobbbyists would keep native tanks, then we could teach our fellow ignorant Americans about what beauty lies right off our southern coasts and how it needs to be protected, and by the way native collecters agree with size and bag limits to maintain healthy fisheries, just as we have for fishing. Take only a few and leave plenty to reproduce the next generation, being mindful to not harm any endangered or rare species.
John

N

nihoa

Originally Posted by Eric B 125
http:///forum/post/2946474
our oceans reefs are in enough trouble as it is. i wouldnt be surprized if what you were doing was illegal. that's cool that you live near reefs, but in my opinion, they are best left where they are. there are so many organizations working tirelessly to help natural reefs thrive. i'd look around to find a good local fish store. that being said...WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

i think im missing your point, not that it was directed my way. its not ok to collect locally but ok to purchase from a shop that sells nearly the same thing imported from somewhere else in the world? to me it sounds like the only difference between collecting personally and buying from a shop is cutting out a middle man.

teresaq

I would check with your states wild life office. I know here all I need is a fishing license. There are things you can not take-such as live rock and certain corals. There are still plenty of things like fish, snails, soft corals, ricordias- with a daily limit.

spanko

Seems to me the OP is aware of the need to protect our reefs, is collecting with care, and hopefully is abiding by local and state regulations when doing so.
I love the idea of local biotopes and only wish we had some reefs here in Michigan. I agree that pictures if you have any are always appreciated.

snakeblitz33

Assuming that you are abiding by State and Federal laws and you are practicing good conservation methods and all that, I believe you still have some research to on keeping marine aquaria.
Airstones, for one, are a thing of the past. You need much more water movement to keep the tank healthy. Another thing is that a baby French or Queen angel is still going to get too big for a 75g tank. Are you going to release it back into the wild when it gets too big? Maybe that's not the best option...
Anyways, welcome to the boards! I hope you stick around for awhile.

fishslime

SnakeBlitz33;2951010 said:
Another thing is that a baby French or Queen angel is still going to get too big for a 75g tank. Are you going to release it back into the wild when it gets too big? Maybe that's not the best option...
Also illegal to release an animal back into the wild. that is how exotics and disease spreads

E

eric b 125

john, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was jumping on you, i wasnt. i am glad to hear that you are practicing responsible collecting.