nautilous protein skimmer

lonestar

will a nautilous protien sckimmer effectivle skim a 75 gal tank? also, will it effectivly skim a 190 gal....buying 1 right now, need it here by tomorrow.
thanks,
jeremy

marinerock

HEY LONE....
THE KENT MARINE NAUTILUS TE PROTEIN SKIMMER IS AN
EXCELLENT SKIMMER...GET A MAG-DRIVE 700 PUMP AND
YOU WILL BE SET ..... IT WILL EFFECTIVELY WORK ON A
300 GAL TANK NO PROBLEM....
GOOD LUCK WITH IT....IF YOU NEED ANY HELP HOOKING IT UP OR ADJUSTING IT FOR YOUR TANK.... JUST LET ME KNOW....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

lonestar

thanks alot marinerock. the lfs store has 1 that works its butt off on a curing tank but the guy i ordered it from was trying to sell me a $400 skimmer. said the kent would barely handle the 75 gal but definately not the 200 gal.
Thanks again,
Jeremy

marinerock

HEY LONE...
YOUR WELCOME...
THE GUY IS FULL OF *.....HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT....PROBABLY MEANT THE $400 SKIMMER COULDNT
HANDLE THE 75... ANYHOW....ITS A TOP-OF-THE-LINE
SKIMMER .....I HAVE A 125 AND BELEIVE ME ...IT COULD HANDLE
A 300 WITHOUT A PROBLEM....GET YOURSELF THE M/D 700
FOR IT AND YOU WILL BE SET....
GOOD LUCK....
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

lonestar

i took your advice and got the mag 7. thanks for all your tips. i am sure it will be great.......should be here by 11 am tomorrow.
thanks again,
jeremy

lonestar

I am assuming it is doing a good job. If thats the case, it will have no problem with my tank.
Thanks,
jeremy

jumpfrog

I'll add my $.02. Have one on my 125 as does ROCK. It works great. A LFS up in Birmingham has one on a 300 reef tank. Quite the testament if you ask me.
Good Luck!

lonestar

i agree with you, i just got mine and put it in the sump. it was kind of an emergency (really a good excuse to convince wife) because i accidentally broke my sealife skimmer. this skimmer is alot bigger in diameter than the sealife skimmer, and i cant wait to see how much waste it will remove from the water. I guess if it doesnt remove much, then that means that the sealife must have been a decent skimmer afterall.
Thanks for everyones help,
jeremy

marinerock

HEY LONE....
WHEN YOU ADJUST THE WATER LEVEL IN THE COLUMN, HAVE
THE WATER LEVEL ABOUT 1/2" BELOW THE BLACK COLLAR...
WHEN LOOKING AT THE COLUMN, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO
SEE THE WATER LINE....
THIS WILL MAKE THE SKIMMER PRODUCE THE FILTHIEST GUNK
INTO THE COLLECTION CUP AND NOT JUST SO-SO DIRTY WATER.
ALSO, TO PREVENT BUBBLES FROM RETURNING TO YOUR MAIN
DISPLAY TANK, SUBMERGE THE BLACK LONG ROUND SPONGE ON
THE ADJUSTING TUBE SO THAT IT SITS HALFWAY INTO THE SUMP
WATER....
GOOD LUCK...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

lonestar

hey Marinerock. I had already started my skimmer before your last post. I have the skimmer sitting where the water level is about 1 inch above where the black plastic base that joins to the clear acrylic tube. As of right now, I am getting nothing in the cup. The foam is starting to get thicker but is still 2 inches below the black plastic that seperated the tube from the cup. It has been running for 2 hours I guess. Do u think it needs to sit a little deeper in the sump? I have to go somewherer till about 9:30pm. If there is still no change, ill unplug and see if i can set it up as u stated. Right now, the only black collar I see is the 1 below the cup (which i dont think it is the 1 u are referring to set waterline 1/5" below). I am sure i will see the other 1 when the bubbles are turned off.
Thanks,
Jeremy

marinerock

HEY LONE....
BTW...THANKS U235 FOR POSTING THIS PICTURE.....
LONE...AS LONG AS ITS SITTING IN THE SUMP, YOURE GOOD...
NEXT...IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEPTH OF THE WATER IN THE SUMP...
THAT IS THE COLLAR IM TALKING ABOUT...BELOW THE CUP....
SEE THE EMBLEM ON THE CUP....UNDERNEATH THAT IS THE TOP
OF THE BLACK COLLAR....NOW GO DOWN 1" AND THAT IS THE
BOTTOM OF THE COLLAR THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.....
ADJUST YOUR WATER LEVEL 1/2" BELOW THE BOTTOM OF THE
BLACK COLLAR....
YOU WILL NEED TO FINE TUNE IT IN ABOUT A WEEK, BUT IT
WILL BE FINE RIGHT AROUND THAT LEVEL....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

lonestar

I didnt even realize the exhaust tube was movable. I moved it us as u stated and already see the foam starting. It has been running all day but the level was 2.5 inches below the ring, now it is .5 inch. Ill let it run like this and fine tune it if needed. BTW, nice setup u have there for the sump.
Thanks,
Jeremy

u235a4

thanks and good luck.. As for the sump that i run on my tanks are made by www.amiracle.com this filter is the MR-400 which is 36Lx12Wx18.5H on my 29's and 37 i run the SL-150B which is much smaller to the MR-400 on the big tanks i'll be adding a BF-XL system which is a Berlin filter with dual venturi skimmers, dual chemical reators, oxygen reactor, and a denitrator reactor which the size of it is 36Lx12Wx18H if your wondering i'm not into building things myself except piping :D

lonestar

I havnt given much thought to the new sump im building for the 190 gallon tank. I have taken a 75 gal and had it drilled to handle the dolphin pump. I was gonna devide it into 3 sections with the skimmer in the middle section. That is an interesting idea you have given me though. I may take it and run with it and maybe redesign my sump. The only thing i cant redesign is the 2.5 inch hole.
Thanks,
jeremy

lonestar

Well, I had the exhause tube too high the 1st night and the cup was filled about 1/2 way with mercy water. I lowered it a little and it seems to be a very dark liquid. The instructions say it will be watery for a couple days then turn to dry foam. I will know more by the end of weekend i guess.
Jeremy

marinerock

HEY LONE....
THE EXHAUST TUBE ADJUSTS THE WATER LEVEL IN THE COLUMN...
WHEN ADJUSTING THE TUBE, JUST LOOK AT THE WATER
COLUMN AND ADJUST IT TO 1/2"-1" BELOW THE COLLAR THAT
I TOLD YOU ABOUT AND THEN THE SKIMMER WILL ONLY
EXTRACT THE FILTHIEST GUNK FROM THE WATER IN THE TANK AND NOT JUST SO-SO DIRTY WATER....
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK