need a few questions answered?

fishwanabe

Hello all,
well after a year and a half of waiting and alot of craziness I finally got a 55g up and running. now, I have
flame angle
brittle star
sand star
choc chip star
green cromie(sp)
a few snail and hermits
3 cleaner shrimp
3 emerald crabs
about 15 red mushroom heads
about 50lbs lr and 30lbs ls
my questions are what do I feed the choc chip star? is it ok that I have three stars?
my tank filters are just the hang on back type, one 40g-60g and 2 10gal., am I suppost to change the filters from time to time?
and how much of a water change should I do on a 55?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Marla

coral keeper

I'm no expert on star fish but I think that the sand star will starve to death. They need a much larger tank with lots of sand. Is it going to be a reef or a FOWLR? Choc chip stars are not reef safe. Id do around 10% water changes every week.

florida joe

About your chocolate star they are aggressive eaters they will munch on all manner of corals soft and stony as far a feeding most are feed bivalve mollusks and shrimp and krill once every week or two you will probable need a feed stick to put the food where the star will find it be for tank mates do IMO a 10% water change a week is fine

fishwanabe

Ill make sure I spot feed the CC star as I already do that with the brittle star, do you think I have enough filtration and what about changing the filters? Thanks

florida joe

Your filters should be ok I would change my filter pads periodically but not all at the same time so as not to cause a spike I would also think if a bigger tank was in my future because small tanks not specifically set up for what you may be trying to achieve can nickel and dime you to death and you may want to look into a power head for more water movment

mcbdz

What is your GPH turn over. That is the most important. You want 10-15x's your tank size.That would make it 550-825 flow for fish only. If you want a reef then you need 20-25x flow. You do this adding power heads. Rinse out you filter pads with saltwater with every water change and change pads as needed. I have duel pads and change them at different times.

fishwanabe

sorry I was off of the computer for a few days my 10 yr old daughter holds dibs almost all of the time anyway. MCBDZ-how do I know what my GPH turn over is? I have the three HOB one is for 40-60g and the other two are for ten gallon tanks. the only PH I have is a maxi-jet 400. This is on a 55g. Thanks to all.

mcbdz

I'm not great with knowing what everythings turnover is. I always check the turn over out on the box before I buy so I know. Someone may know what they are on here, but I'm thinking you need more. Cheap power heads are usually very low turn over and the HOB usually around 300. You need no less then 550 for fish only and 1100 gallons per hour turn over would be best. You have to add all your filtrations gph together and see if you have enough. This is one of the very important parts of saltwater, since it is thicker then fresh it takes more gph to oxygenate the water, and helps keep things from settling and increaseing NO4...etc....

ophiura

Originally Posted by fishwanabe
Ill make sure I spot feed the CC star as I already do that with the brittle star, do you think I have enough filtration and what about changing the filters? Thanks

It may not prevent it eating your corals (or snails, clams, anemones, etc...). Instinct is instinct. I would not keep it with anything you value.