need a good pump, suggest please

coachb

I have a Rio 1700 and it is now making loud noises and vibrating annoyingly, this is the second one I have had in 3 months. I have read where people do not like them much.
Is there a better pump to get and where can I find it? Thanks, my wife is quite annoyed with the noise.
54 gal corner
wet/dry
130 w PC
assorted iverts
2 clowns
1 coral beauty

cwfish

I have been very happy with the Supreme Mag-Drive pumps. I would go with a Mag5 or Mag9.5. Some have had trouble with the Mag7, but the company was supposed to have fixed the problems with that model. Good Luck.

coachb

any suggestions where to order a Mag pump, lfs's only have Rio, is there a good online source? thanks

guppie

For an internal pump mag drive is very good, if it is external I have had good luck with the Quiet One and it is that never hear it . Good Luck

coachb

I need the pump for a wet/dry, would that be internal or external? Looking at Mag pumps on the net it looks as though they have an input and output hole as opposed to the RIO that has the input vents. Am I lookin at the right ones? How about pond pumps from home depot garden stores, any comments? If they put out 600 gph wouldn't they work? Again, any help comments are much appreciated. Thanks

q

I also use a mag pump. Low heat output, quiet, and reliable. Using a pond pump may be a gamble as you don't know if it will produce heat or not.
My 2 cents

cwfish

The larger Mag pumps are actually able to be used internally or externally. You are correct that there is an input and ouput nozzle on the Mags. It's up to you how you want to use the pump. I wouldn't recommend pond pumps for the simple reason that you wouldn't be using the pump in it's designed location. It might work though. Heat transfer is another thing you do have to worry about, my Dolphin 4500 generates enough heat to raise the 400 gallon system to roughly 78.5 degrees, and thats with running the water a LONG way and to the floor below which is kept at about 68 degrees! With the Mag pumps heat shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to find a Mag 5 for about $50 and a Mag 9.5 for about $70. Good luck to you.

demosthenes

You asked for a good place to get a Mag Drive pump, and the best place I can think of is <a href="http://www.**************.com" target="_blank">**************.com</a> they have a lot of great products, and you can request a Fish catalog if you want. They've got their Mag Drive pumps, as well as everything else, for really cheap, and their service is great. I use a Mag Drive 750 gph in my sump, and the only thing I can hear coming from my sump is the water returning from the skimmer. HTH

tankstolove

Hey there I love Ocean Runners by Aqua Medic. I have used them for years. Aqua Medic is a German company and they have many of the best products when it comes to filtration and pumps in my opinion. Very quite pump that for the money is the best investment.
<table border>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#ffff00"><font color=#000000>
Ocean Runner 2500 pump, Aqua Medic. The Ocean Runner (OR) 2500 is a powerful universal pump to be used as a circulation or current pump, both in salt and fresh water aquaria. The OR2500 is supplied with a rugged pump housing, an energy saving motor, a polished ceramic shaft, and ceramic bearings. All these qualities ensure a quiet and maintenance free performance for many years. Can be used for both submerged and in-line installations. Pump uses 38 watts. Pumps 700 gph at 0 feet. Connections: 3/4 inch male thread inlet, 3/4 inch male thread outlet.
Weight: 7 Lbs.</td></tr></table></font>
I can get you one of these from the manufacturer for $39.99 plus ups of fed ex shipping which is around 6 to 10 bucks depending on where you live.
You can see the pump on customaquatics for 59.99 plus shipping for the same pump.
If you want one email me at tankstolove@msn