Need a Little help

one-fish

View attachment 2682 View attachment 2683 Been having issues w/GHA. Plan is to remain a fish/invert tank so some GHA is okay right.. My problem is the sand bed not to pleasurable to look at, this is 2 weeks after I rake it up in small piles and siphon off. Tank is still new about 3 months or so since cycled, expected some GHA but it always regrows after cleaning. I know I have P04 just by looking, have been running Carbon, Chemipure blue and Phosguard in socks in the sump. Skimmer is pulling nice dark skimmate and do 4 gal WC's weekly. Also trying to grow chaeto in refugium but it seems the GHA chokes it out.Keep saying to my self this will pass but having doubts now.

Attachments

2quills

In your case this should be very easy.

Leave your display lights of for 2 weeks...just leave them off period!

Run your fuge light 24/7. Let the cheato grow big, as big as it can get, let it fill your fuge. Once grown out enough just maintain it at a fairly large size.

Can u tell us again what you're using for a fuge light, and what Kelvin rating of bulbs u are using over your display?

one-fish

Fuge light 23 w cfl w/deflector. DT light current orbit marine. Have done blackouts but not that long. Going to do WC, clean up sand bed and scrub GHA from rubble rocks in sump and give it a two week blackout. What you are saying makes sense and have tried to encourage grow in sump vs DT by a 24/7 light in sump duration but GHA seems to take over the chaeto . Thanks I'll give it a go..

2quills

You just need to leave the display lights off long enough for the stuff in the display to die off and disappear. Could take a week or two, could take longer.

But once it's gone it will be much easier to keep out. I'd invest in a turbo snail or two as well. Those suckered will help keep it gone.

one-fish

Can see a big improvement in the DT almost all the GHA has died off, but the chaeto in the sump is not doing so well it seems the GHA is growing in the chaeto (but its only been 10 days now). This is my 2nd attempt at trying to grow this in the sump. Should I be looking into Caulerpa or a GFO Reactor instead. Have read about the horror stories about caulerpa but would like to hear from someone w/ actual experience.

one-fish

If it goes sexual it releases spores in which to multiply (survive) causing the plant to respire more than usual causing an increase in carbon dioxide and then possible large PH fluctuations....just what I read..My LFS said he has never had an issue. I have not found a balance in my tank yet. I see the logic in macro growing in the fuge, so I am still searching trying new things to find what works best for me..

florida joe

I have also tried it with great successes at lowering nitrates. the key IMO is to constantly cut it back constantly check your nitrates you have to find the balance between the growth and the availability of food so it does not go sexual in an attempt to survive

one-fish

Thanks Joe.. I do think my problem is w/phosphates haven't seen any nitrates for months now but thats only what the test indicates although I do register a small <.025ppm level for P04. Going to give the chaeto more time but ready to try caulerpa

one-fish

Have done more research and thinking of a getting a GFO Reactor I can see where it is a common choice in phosphate reduction. I need to get a balance before adding anymore Livestock wanting to get 3 or 4 PJ Cardinals to add to my 2 clowns. I truly believe the Fuji LR I bought is a source for my P04 the GHA started there and flourish in it. One day I will figure this out....Got to Love it......keeps the gears turning.....

beaslbob

IMHO the dirty little secret is that $5 worth of protected macro algae will do more than any man made filter/reactor.

2quills

If it still isnt working try something else. That's crazy though that you're having such a hard time growing chaeto. I feel like I should get into the chaeto growing business lol.

If your growing hair algae in the sump that's just as good as anything. Let it keep growing there. I still get little patchest of it in my fuge from time to time.

one-fish

Crazy....Yes I agree..ordered a gfo reactor not expensive and have a pump to feed it, going to give that a go. DT looks good leaving lights on for a couple 4 hrs daily. Going to remove chaeto due to it being overrun w/GHA Still searching for the source of the nutrients, beginning to think it is from the Fuji LR or the DSB ????

2quills

There was a short period of time where GHA tried to choke out my chaeto. I simply removed it periodically until late it just finally went away allowing the chaeto to get big.

one-fish

Growing chaeto in the sump is where I want to be....it all makes sense. Harvesting new growth removes absorbed nutrients creating a balance in the system....I see it ..just can't get this damn stuff to grow...Lol

2quills

Don't give up just yet, you're getting close. Pick out the GHA from the chaeto and stay the course with the display lighting. It just takes a little time and it will happen. 10-12 days hasn't been long enough yet IMO. Just keep it up till the fuge it packed with it.

one-fish

It's not the chaeto is dying.. not getting white strains braking off ..it's green but no new light green growth, the GHA will be detrimental IMO..