need a new camera

greenreefer

My wife broke our camera on vacation which is a good excuse to buy a new one (used is even better if I can get more for the money). She uses it constantly for taking pictures of our kids and it did a great job of that (sorry I don't remember what it was exactly, but it had a built in lens and cost between $500 - $600 last year) but I could never get close up pics of my corals. So I'm hoping for some advice on a new camera. I'd like to spend $300 - $600 on a new/used camera that will work for everyday photographs but will also allow me to spend some extra $$$ on a macro lens to take pics of my coral. I know very little about cameras or photography so please help. I take it I want a dSLR and that Nikon is a good name. Any recommendations on specific makes and models and any ideas on of sites to find a used one? I'd be very happy with buying a couple year old model from someone upgrading to the latest and greatest.

teresaq

I have a nikon d40. It takes good pictures of my tank and the kids. I still havent really learned how to use all the feature yet though.
I posted some new pictures in the seahorse forum if you want to take a look.

gypsana

I am looking into the Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera. It is $499 on Amazon and it comes with a lens. Good reviews as well.

greenreefer

not yet...gonna make me a great deal on yours

I think I've decided to get a Nikon D40, but I'm still shopping, hoping to pick a used one up with the 18-55mm lens for $300. I've seen several sell for 325 - 350 on ---- in the last couple of days and I can get one for 375 on keh.com but figured if I just watch for a couple of days I can get one on ---- for 300