Need a skimmer

mr. limpid

I need a skimmer to be HOB down in my sump and can only have head clearance of 10", to remove collection cup. It will not work in sump because I only have room in first chamber and water level needs to be high about 12". The sump is a wet dry system using bio balls. I've been looking and only found the Octopus LX2000s anyone else with suggestions, Thanks. It's for a 135gal FOWLR.

snakeblitz33

I have had good luck with their brand name. I use their overflows and a couple other things. Ive never used one of their skimmers. But, i have heard good reviews on them from some of the fine upstanding people on RC.
I almost purchased an eshopps skimmer but i found a cheap knock off brand cone skimmer, the SC65, and went with that.

mr. limpid

I look into the Eshopps PSK-100h it is also a HOB but need to know the clearance needed to remove the collection cup while it is on the tank. Since I only have 10" to underside of stand. I like it because of the pump is located outside of the body of the skimmer, easy to maintenance or replace parts.

mr. limpid

Well I think I have a winner the Eshopp PSK-100h, it sits 7 5/8" above tank and only 2 to 3" to remove collection cup. I will double check my dimensions tonight, but I believe I have 10" of clearance so I'm hoping for 2 3/8" to remove collection cup. I have been in contact directly with Eshopp and will get them to give a firm dimension to remove collection cup once I double check the dimension I need.

1guydude

SWC HOB i think its called the Hot Shot or something... dont know the price off the top of my head sry... and i cant post the site.

mr. limpid

Well the Eshopps skimmer is to tall wont work under my cabinet and the Hot shot skimmers are the same price as the Octopus skimmer. So looking into the Coralife super skimmer. Has anyone owned this skimmer? I have read mixed reviews some say its hard to remove collection cup and it leaks when reinstalled? Is this true? Also anyone know the clearance needed to remove the collection cup while hanging on back of tank, I only have 10 1/4" to underside of stand?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487759
Well the Eshopps skimmer is to tall wont work under my cabinet and the Hot shot skimmers are the same price as the Octopus skimmer. So looking into the Coralife super skimmer. Has anyone owned this skimmer? I have read mixed reviews some say its hard to remove collection cup and it leaks when reinstalled? Is this true? Also anyone know the clearance needed to remove the collection cup while hanging on back of tank, I only have 10 1/4" to underside of stand?
I have owned a couple of super skimmers. The collection cup is a screw down type of deal. It has a gasket and you have to screw it down onto the gasket. It requires no clearance at all. If you cross thread the collar on when you put the cup back on, it will leak. You also have to keep up with the gasket on top. One time I removed my cup and the gasket stuck to the bottom of the collection cup and I didn't notice until it started leaking. They are very touchy, and sometimes require you to adjust the output nozzle pretty often to get them to work right. Also, if you mount it HOB, the pump looks HUGE in your display. I honestly didn't know what a good skimmer was until I played around with a few expensive ones on customers tanks.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487778
I have owned a couple of super skimmers. The collection cup is a screw down type of deal. It has a gasket and you have to screw it down onto the gasket. It requires no clearance at all. If you cross thread the collar on when you put the cup back on, it will leak. You also have to keep up with the gasket on top. One time I removed my cup and the gasket stuck to the bottom of the collection cup and I didn't notice until it started leaking. They are very touchy, and sometimes require you to adjust the output nozzle pretty often to get them to work right. Also, if you mount it HOB, the pump looks HUGE in your display. I honestly didn't know what a good skimmer was until I played around with a few expensive ones on customers tanks.
Thanks for all the good info. So, your last comment is confusing but I think you are saying this isn't a good skimmer?

tonysearsjr

i have the coralife 65 on a 75 display and 10 sump... i was thinking that i was overworking it but now that i have read up on the skimmer post think its doing fine, as above needs no clearance for cup just patience for adjustments, i too have mine hanging on the wall of the sump.for now

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysearsjr http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487787
i have the coralife 65 on a 75 display and 10 sump... i was thinking that i was overworking it but now that i have read up on the skimmer post think its doing fine, as above needs no clearance for cup just patience for adjustments, i too have mine hanging on the wall of the sump.for now
Thanks, did you have problem with leaking?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487781
Thanks for all the good info. So, your last comment is confusing but I think you are saying this isn't a good skimmer?

I have had one of those super skimmers get the airline clogged up just a little bit - and overflow about 20 gallons of saltwater onto the carpet before... while I was gone.
BUT, if you are on a budget and don't mind playing with them a bit, and checking the cup and making sure the airline tube isn't obstructed every day - go for it. I used em' for about two years.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487796

I have had one of those super skimmers get the airline clogged up just a little bit - and overflow about 20 gallons of saltwater onto the carpet before... while I was gone.
BUT, if you are on a budget and don't mind playing with them a bit, and checking the cup and making sure the airline tube isn't obstructed every day - go for it. I used em' for about two years.
Hey sounds like the skimmer for me, on a budget, don't mind playing with them, I check all my equipment daily (never go anywhere). I think my LFS has one, plan on checking it out tonight.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392416/need-a-skimmer#post_3487796

Explain about this air line clogging?

snakeblitz33

Salt creep... sometimes clogs up the airline tube. Also, I have had the airline fall into the water in the display tank, it's about the same thing as clogging. When the airline tube gets kinked, clogged, or falls into the water - it WILL overflow the skimmer and you WILL get saltwater on the floor eventually.

mr. limpid

Well measured the superskimmer in the LFS it wont work unit sit 10 1/2" above tank without even trying to remove collection cup. I have three options in the works. One the kid at the LFS says the Dual Bak-Pak 2 would fit under my tank, he actual has one will measure it for me and even wants to sell his. And the other two options are two friends may have an old Red Sea prizm large skimmer they are checking to see if they can find them. If all three option fails it save my dough till I can afford the Octopus LX2000x.