Need advice on my new 175

jcarroll

I posted this on fish only, but thought it may do better here....
Hey guys! I have had a 55 gallon for about 5 years now, and am excited to say that tomorrow one of my friends is selling me his 175 for $1000! That's everything included, including a snowflake eel.
I'm just wondering, when he brings everything over here tomorrow and we're setting it back up, is there anything specific that is recommended for me? We are saving the water in buckets. I am just a little concerned about how to deal with the eel. It's the only thing in there, it ate all of his fish. It's about 3 feet long. Am I able to introduce it right away? Or do I need to wait until the water clears from the sand being stirred up? I can't put him in my 55 because he'll eat my fish and possibly try to commit suicide out of the top.
Another question is what kinds of fish can I have in there that are safe from becoming lunch?

slackjawed

Originally Posted by Jcarroll
http:///forum/post/2701136
I posted this on fish only, but thought it may do better here....
Hey guys! I have had a 55 gallon for about 5 years now, and am excited to say that tomorrow one of my friends is selling me his 175 for $1000! That's everything included, including a snowflake eel.
I'm just wondering, when he brings everything over here tomorrow and we're setting it back up, is there anything specific that is recommended for me? We are saving the water in buckets. I am just a little concerned about how to deal with the eel. It's the only thing in there, it ate all of his fish. It's about 3 feet long. Am I able to introduce it right away? Or do I need to wait until the water clears from the sand being stirred up? I can't put him in my 55 because he'll eat my fish and possibly try to commit suicide out of the top.
Another question is what kinds of fish can I have in there that are safe from becoming lunch?
no cycle just drop em in .
.dont save any of his water.should be all good!!! a 175 you should be able 2 drop fish in after 5 hourws depends on the flow you got.but as you will see ,people will say dont take my advise!!or you can set up the tank and cycle it with some live rock for 6 weeks naaaaaaaaaaaaa (just 4 u 99%ers) set up and dropem in 5 hrs!!! it will be ok!! any triggers will work with that eel

prime311

Is there live rock coming too? If you keep the rock and sand in the water and transport and move quickly, you should be able to set it up with minimal or no cycle. Snowflake Eels are pretty hardy, but you still need to make sure you save the bacteria living on the rock and sand. There's very little beneficial bacteria in the water itself.

jcarroll

Okay, I was totally wrong, it's a tessalata eel. does that make a difference as to what can go with him? I'd love 4 or 5 fish that would be compatible that you guys like.

mumbulog

The teselletta eel usually is a loner. If he is 3 feet your going to risk adding anything. If you are going to add a tankmate, I would look for larger fish and they will be in the $100 range, that's an expensive meal! You'll be taking a chance/risk

mumbulog

Just be aware of sizes. There is a posting on here and I do not remeber where that shows a lg grouper, I believe a buble bee grouper swallowing an lg eel, sadly enough both fish died. I think getting another eel in the same size range would be a good choice.