Need advice

brian1975

I am semi new to saltwater aquariums. Have had many fresh water ones in the past. I have a 29gal bicube, that I bought from a friend. Have had it for about 6 months now. I have a damsel and clownfish in the tank now. I was anderjing if I could get any advice on other types af fish that I could put in the tank. I was also wanting advice on corals for beginners. Since I have never done them before would like to get some that are not going to die in just a few months.

natclanwy

If you want to keep corals the amount of fish you will be able to keep is going to be somewhat restricted, I would say 3 but no more than 4 fish total in a 29g tank. Some other fish to consider would be fridmani pseudochromis, Green chromis, and some wrasses (be sure and research the different types). Their are plenty of others but my main intrests are corals so my knowledge of fish is somewhat limited so hopefully others will chime in.
As far as corals you can keep it depends on the amount of lighting you have and the amount of flow you can provide, but some good starters would be most zoas, kenya trees, GSP, and mushrooms all of which have pretty low requirements.

brian1975

i have to lights that came with the biocube. are there any other ty[e that i should look into? i was told by my friend that i cjould kepp about 5 fish in the tank depending on what type and size. is this incorrect? i want to start getting into corals but teally dont know that much about them. what lights feeding all the little things. would appreciate any help.

natclanwy

It's possible to keep five fish in your tank but 5 fish and corals is not a good combo. The problem with a small tank is your are very limited on filtration specifically nitrate export. Nitrate export only occurs in anoxide areas of your tank like deep inside live rock or a DSB. Macro algaes can also export nitrates but many people including myself don't care to have them in the DT. Fish can tolerate much higher levels of nitrate than corals can and the larger bioload will create nitrate issues in small tank which will make it difficult to keep corals. It could still be done but it would take a fair amount of dedication and lots of water changes to keep the nitrate in check.
I'm not very familiar with the lights that came with the biocubes, but I believe they will support corals with low light requirements like mushrooms, kenya trees, and some zoas.
Most corals don't require additional feeding they will get what they need from the lights.