Need Advice

eq2118

Can anyone give me advice on what to do for a first time saltwater fish owner with a 20 gallon tank? I am thinking of getting two clown fish and would like to put some live rock and sand. I want to make this a good environment. What is the best way to go about doing this? What should be in the tank? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

ross

Welcome to the board!
First off you will need some sand for the substrate. After you get the tank set up with sand and the salt and everything you will should get some live rock(lr). I would recomend 20-25lbs. Yes, it is expensive for just some rocks but it is well worth it. After you get the lr, the tank will need to cycle. To do this you should just get a raw shrimp from the grocery store and put it in the tank. You will need to get a test kit to monitor your levels of ammonia and nitrite. Once the ammonia and nitrite are at zero you can get your 2 clownfish. Clownfish are great beginner fish and will be very happy in your 20g. Good luck and keep asking questions.

stackman

Yes, welcome to the hobby. Its good to see another person with a small tank. I recommend sticking with small species of non aggressive fish. Your two clowns, some chromis, maybe a small wrasse. You can also get some shrimp. Those are always fun.
Stackman

eq2118

I was hesitant in getting such a small tank, but now I feel a little better. Keep the suggestions coming!! thanks everyone!
oh yeah how do people feel about hexagonal tanks??

ross

I would not go with a hexagon tank because fish usually swim from side to side not up and down. If you haven't gotten your tank then i would go with as big as you can afford. You could get a used tank and save lots of money.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by EQ2118
oh yeah how do people feel about hexagonal tanks??

Not on my list of favorates, low gas exchange and like was said restricted swimming space, a little more challenging to light as well for a reef.
Thomas