need an ID plz

vtfishies

Its been a bit since i've been on here..i've had this peice of rock in the tank for at least a year..not sure what it is..started growing under 2 months ago..kinda curious to see what it might be..bad or good! all info is appreciated

vtfishies

i wish it was that simple lol..i have both green/brown in my tank..nothin like them...the pink area ( branching things) actualy protrude away from the rock..unlike gsp/bsp's..they branch from a mat on the rock..this has not mat..thanks tho..

poop_head

definatley not GSP, looks like maybe coraline that is branching out. I think I've seen it before and I think thats what it was decided as what it was. Looks like you got some aptasia problems though.

vtfishies

ya i do have a aptasia problem lol..tried lemon juice.vinager..joes's (works on small ones but seems to make them multiply like ya really ticked them off) bought a copperband a while back YT killed it! no longer have the YT, so hopefully tomorrow lfs will get my copperband...i even tried peppy's..what a joke my lfs is..sold me camel..not happy..what can ya do..i've never heard about branching coraline..will check it out.

trippkid

It looks to be some type of algae(macro). Never heard of branching coralline?
Is it hard or soft to the touch? Try boiling water and injecting those little suckers, then suck the death out with a turkey baster.

alexander86

I have a major problem with aiptasia! I'm going to try both the lemon juice and boiling water tonight.. I'll post here on how the boiling water works out.. lol.. I figure I'll suck them all off with a turkey baster and that'll solve it :) If not, time to cut them off!!! lol..
(didn't mean to hijack, or intrude)

hefner413

I also seem to have a few little baby aptasias showing up. I also want to get a copperband, but I'm sure my YT will also beat it up. I'm not sure what to do...

trippkid

Originally Posted by alexander86
I have a major problem with aiptasia! I'm going to try both the lemon juice and boiling water tonight.. I'll post here on how the boiling water works out.. lol.. I figure I'll suck them all off with a turkey baster and that'll solve it :) If not, time to cut them off!!! lol..
(didn't mean to hijack, or intrude)
Don't cut them, they will come back even stronger, you are just fragging it, sort of. Boiling RO water, needle and syringe, and a turkey baster. It is easier if the rock is in a smaller container with water, if you have more rocks, just do one at a time.

vtfishies

boiling water didnt work thats why i used the lemon and vinager...gonna do the copperband..as for your yellow tang..i was told a while back to take it out and place in qt tank for a couple days and reintroduce it to tank..other than i dont know lol..thanks for the help..

coral keeper

Originally Posted by vtfishies
Its been a bit since i've been on here..i've had this peice of rock in the tank for at least a year..not sure what it is..started growing under 2 months ago..kinda curious to see what it might be..bad or good! all info is appreciated

I think i have the same thing, but its more like a tree than a bush. Ill try to get a good pic of it if i can.

drewissett

Originally Posted by vtfishies
boiling water didnt work thats why i used the lemon and vinager...gonna do the copperband..as for your yellow tang..i was told a while back to take it out and place in qt tank for a couple days and reintroduce it to tank..other than i dont know lol..thanks for the help..
I had the same problem, and bought 3 peppermint shrimp, and they got rid of them in about 48 hours... Worked like magic!

vtfishies

ya i'm kinda anxious to see what it is..even if its branching coralline..nifty regardless..but as for the aptasia..copperband i hope will do..if not than i'll hunt for a true peppy..hard to get in vermont..limited lfs's

reefforbrains

Hey Princess...
Never really knew a proper scientific name but it is a Red Macro. Try google for a scientific.
If it is not taking over, and most importantly if you like it then thats good enough to keep it.
And Thank you for the Pm, best time to reach me is really any time, I always have the phone on me but coincidentaly never aswer it as I seemlingly live at work. I will give you a ring in the next day or two and really give you my full attention.
Thanks for the patience. LOL

vtfishies

Hi hun, nice to hear from you..thanks..an no its not taking over i kinda like the color to be honest...will do the research thing..and i'll send a number u can reach me on ( cell ) since i'm on dial up and well no one can get thru lol..thanks all..for all tips and info..its a big help!