Need breading clownfish info.

coral keeper

I was thinking of starting to breed clowns, what kind of clowns are easy to breed and raise? I know breeding clowns is hard, but what kind from all the clowns is the easiest? I already have a single maroon (female) who was the only clown in the tank, can I get another one that's the same kind of maroon? Will they pair up or is it a 50/50 chance?
Thanks!

coral keeper

Here is a picture of the new couple! The old one I had for more than a year and a half. When I put them both in at the same time, they both paired up within seconds! Oh yeah, the little new one was like, dancing? or something near the big one?

meeks101

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2665284
I was thinking of starting to breed clowns, what kind of clowns are easy to breed and raise? I know breeding clowns is hard, but what kind from all the clowns is the easiest? I already have a single maroon (female) who was the only clown in the tank, can I get another one that's the same kind of maroon? Will they pair up or is it a 50/50 chance?
Thanks!
I have read several clownfish books and have found that ocellaris clowns are the easiest to breed and raise. I myself am a beginner and have gotten 2 ocellaris clowns and so far everything has gone quite nicely, and am expecting eggs within the next month! As for puting another maroon in the tank that depends, maroons are one of the hardest clowns to breed and they to have trouble getting along with other fish, even other maroons because they are very territorial. If you have had this maroon for more than a year it is probably a female. If it's a female it will either except a smaller mate for it's companion, or chase it away (possibly to the death) If you have not had this maroon for more than a year and put a smaller mate in the tank the two maroons will fight to the death. Each wanting to be the female. I hope your tank goes well and that you tank note of this advise! I wouldn't be taking the time to write all of this if I didn't think it was true!

litoallie

Wow! that's great I hope your "breading" succeeds =) . I'm thinking about getting an aqua-pod of biocube and keep 2 clowns in there with some corals.. and hope that they spawn. Good luck! Keep us posted!