need feed back on remedy(beth)

ricks280

hi guys just purchased a white spot (ichthyophthirius) the product is called rapid white spot remedy made by aristopet (aquamaster) the lfs mentioned that is reef safe because it only contains the following active constituents: 37mg/formaldehyde and 0.32mg/malachite green. because it has no copper he believes its reef safe :notsure:
he used it in his reef aquarium and no problem, but im just a bit concerned about using it.
i havent got another tank to do hypo. or to administer this medication so im in between the spade and the wall! all the fish are eating like horses and keeping the weight up, all the meals have been soaked with garlic including the nori sheets. the fish are showing the icht (not as bad as they were 2 days ago) so my question is do i just keep on the garlic and plenty of meals? and hope it will go away or treat the tank with the above mentioned product? its a large tank 1000lts and i have heard that in big tanks they can recover without treatment as long as they feed well. thanks in advance . regards rick :thinking:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
formaldehyde in a reef tank? You don't want to use this. There is not reefsafe medication that is effective.

ricks280

beth and bang guy thank you very much for your promt response .
both of you hit the nail in the head , i rang the manufacturer in queensland this morning and after i mentioned the amount of $$$$$$$ in corals that was when he open up and said that the product was not reef safe and the last thing he wanted was for the firm being sued!
thanks again, i just fed the fellows again with a good dose of garlic and a lot of the spots are starting to disappear.(one week today) (rick.)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the label on that product does not say reef safe. You may want to have a discussion with the person who recommended that. Just to spare others from his/her deadly advise.

ricks280

beth,
i will be going there this w/end and ill make sure of that!
just had a look at the fish and there is no sign of icht? how can it be? 5 days and gone?
has the garlic helpt this time? well if it has ill make sure that any new fish will be in qt. tank next time.
thank you again. (rick)